Chapter 19

Brock leaned on the onyx colored marbled counter in his parents kitchen. He had been on the phone and surfing the net on his laptop almost all day, calling everyone he thought was necessary to put his plan in motion. First, he had contacted his bank broker and had some of his money wired to a secret account. All the while he was looking for a new vehicle to buy, there was no way Brock was going to be relying on anyone to cart him around. He always favored the swift speed of a luxury car over anything else, and look what that got him. Granted if he wouldn't have been speeding then he wouldn't have had the accident and possibly have permanent nerve damage to his hand and arm. However, he never would have met Jenna the woman he would give up everything for. Brock decided he was done with his need for speed, he just wanted a regular American made vehicle. He contacted a local dealership and spoke to the manager.

"This is Brock Hammond"

"Yes Mr. Hammond how can I help you?"

"I need you strictest of confidentiality in a sale."

"Oh yes sir Mr. Hammond you have my word. Matter of fact I will take care of you myself what is it you are looking for?"

"I want a black Chevy truck and I want the full package."

"Yes sir, I can have that ready and to you by the end of the day."

"Excellent, I will email you the address I want it delivered to and again this information must not be released. Otherwise I have connections and you will be looking for another job."

"No. No Mr. Hammond you have my word that no one will know other than you and me."

"Perfect" Brock gave his bank information and moved on to the next task.

The next time he looked at the clock most of the day was gone and that meant his father would be home. It had been two days since he had seen his father. Between planning his of all intencive purpose he called " his getaway" and the few sessions of physical therapy, Brock never really missed his father. Sr. had been absent through most of his life so this was nothing new.

He plopped down on the bar stool with a harrumph and sighed this was going to be a nuclear meltdown with mass destruction in this household today. Brock tried to not think about his father's rage and fits that would certainly happen, so he focused his thoughts on Jenna.  Brock called Anne and let her in on some of his plan and she was all but jumping through the phone with excitement. Anne informed Brock that Jenna was steadily busy trying to fix up her renovated log cabin.

A loud noise broke Brock from his daydream of seeing Jenna. Brock looked up just in time to see his father slam the garage door and shook the pictures that hung on the wall beside it.

"You tell that no good for nothing employee, that if he can't seem to get done what I need him to then he'll seeing the unemployement office real soon."  Sr. abruptly cut off whomever was on the other end of the line and took off his blue-tooth earpiece and tossed it on the kitchen counter. Brock just sat there in amazement not wanting to even breathe, afraid that it would draw attention to himself and he wasn't ready to confront his father yet.

"You'll be dealing with this kind of stuff when you take over, and don't let them take advantage of you." Sr. stated as he dropped his keys and briefcase on the counter. Brock sat there like deer in the headlights trying to stay under the radar.  "How was therapy today?" Sr. asked in a monotone voice as he pour himself a glass of scotch.

"It went well, they say that everything looks really good and I should be back on track in no time." Brock stated as he stood up and turned to leave not wanting to know what his father would say next. Sr. nodded as he stared at his now half empty glass and slowly savouring the the liquid gold that gently rolled down his throat.