Chapter 3

Jenna started to run down the corridor with Carolyn on her heels toward the injured patient on the gurney. The man was in his mid to late twenties with a large gash on his forehead near the hair line. Blood had been running down his face and onto the clean white sheet that covered the gurney. His left arm had a very deep gash and part of the bone was sticking out.

"What happened?" Jenna asked                                                                                                         

"Twenty-seven year old male was involved in a single car accident on the highway. He has suffered a laceration to his head, left arm, and some minor lacerations over the rest of his body from the shattered glass. Witnesses stated that he was speeding and lost control which made the car roll several times and then land on the roof. When we arrived he was conscious but right after we arrived he lost consciousness and we haven't been able to get him to wake up. He was wearing his seat belt but we had to use the jaws of life to get him out of the car. Driver's license says his name is Brock Hammond and he's from New York" stated the paramedic.

"Page Dr. Franklin and mark it STAT" Jenna yelled out of the room to a nurse that was standing close to the nurses station. Out of the corner of Jenna's eye she could see someone walking into the room and they had red hair and she immediately knew who it was.

"Patrick come over here and help us transfer the patient to the bed?" Carolyn asked the paramedic. With the help of Jenna, Carolyn, Patrick, and his partner, they were able to lift Brock from the gurney and transfer him to the bed to start assessing his wounds and to put a oxygen mask on. Just then Dr. Franklin ran into the room with a concerned look on his face. Jenna updated Dr. Franklin on the history of the accident and vitals.

"We need to order a brain MRI and an x-ray for his arm to asses the damage." He took a small pen light and open Brock's eyes one at a time then grabbed an instrument to look in his ears and mouth. "This doesn't look good at all but we won't know definitely until the results come back from radiology. Have radiology page me when he gets done the test and I'll look over them and schedule surgery for his arm.  Right now I need to go contact his family to let them know what happened.”

Carolyn left the room to call the radiology department to get Brock scheduled for his testing while Jenna started to stitch up his wounds. Patrick was still standing there while scribbling on his clipboard but would occasionally glance up at Jenna.

"Hey Jenna how have you been?" Patrick asked nonchalantly. Jenna looked up briefly to see he had on his blue polo shirt with the county logo stitch on the pocket and khaki pants. Jenna and Patrick had grown up together with Carolyn and had dated for a short period of time but Patrick had ended the relationship with the famous ending ‘It's not you it's me and can we still be friends?’ Jenna later found out that he was interested in dating another girl who was skinny and was very sure of herself and he had wanted to have her instead. Jenna rolled her eyes she really didn't want to answer him but thought it would be very rude of her not to.

"Fine Patrick and how have you been?" she answered with a fake smile. She wished he would just get done whatever he had to do and leave before she really did say something rude.

"That's good to hear and I'm doing good as well". he replied "I was thinking.." and with that Jenna cut him off short before he could continue, but of course she so politely and with a fake smile.

"I'm sorry but I'm real busy here so I can't talk right now but it was nice to see you again." She then started back to work on the gash on Brock's head giving the impression that she was done talking and it was time for him to leave. He took the hint and without further word he walked out of the room which made Jenna relax a little. "Thank goodness he left. That man makes my blood boil". she mumbled to herself.
After she had finished with the last stitch on the head and some on the arm except where the bone was sticking out, she started to scan over his body for any other wounds that needed to be irrigated or stitched up. Jenna's eyes surveyed his broad chest that was tanned and muscular with a few stray chest hairs. Her eyes roamed south over his taut stomach and even while he was lying there she could tell that he had a six pack and the neat trail of hair and disappeared under the white sheet. Trying to deny the warming sensation that was starting low in her stomach she shook her mind of the highly inappropriate thought. Jenna then noticed a bright red blood stain on the sheet that was located where Brock's thigh was. As Jenna was lifting the sheet Carolyn burst into the room