Epilogue Part 3

10 years later~

Tam grabbed my hand as we watched our kids play with Fitz and Linh's kids. They were laughing, as Amy fell down and laughed as Elaine fell on top of her. I sighed contently, happy to watch my kids play. 

~~~~

Fitz and I entered the classroom for Telepaths. We were both hired as teachers in the Silver Tower, teaching together. We sometimes got students in pairs, wishing to be cognates. Today, we were getting new students, as it was the beginning of a new year. The first bell rang and I glanced at Fitz, eager to begin the year. A girl poked her head in, before walking in. Then, a boy entered the room and shyly sat next to the girl, who smiled warmly at him.

"Alright." I said, leaning back in my chair. 

"um.... Hello Lady Song. Sir Vacker." The girl greeted, stunned that we were their teachers. While both of us were technically teachers, when the council had a huge secret they gave it to me, as my mind was impentetrable. And when they needed a strong mind to be probed, they turned to Fitz and I. And of course, when a broken mind needed to be healed we went. 

"Hello!" I said cheerfully. 

"I'm Gertrude Babblos." 

"Do you happen to be a sibling of Jensi Babblos?" I said, smiling.

"I uh...yeah. He's my older brother." She stumbled.

"He was my first friend at Foxfire that wasn't introduced to me." I said, chuckling. 

"Ah, yes he kept bragging about that." 

"Anyways, young sir, what is your name?" I said, turning to face the boy, who despite being 18, was quite shy and not as tall as I was used to. Maybe that's because Keefe and Fitz set my expectations. 

"My name's Jetson, Lady Song." He said, opening up as I addressed him directly. 

"Cool name." I complimented. "And I'm going to assume you two are cognates, considering that we only ever get pairs if they are cognates. There has not been a situation like Fitz's and I's in quite awhile, where he could slip into my mind but nobody else could." I said, smiling at the memory of seeing his name on my schedule. 

"Yes, we are cognates." Gertrude answered. I glanced at Fitz, and he nodded. 

Have them try and slip into my mind.  Fitz transmitted, and I grinned.

  Just don't give them any secrets. I transmitted back, thinking back on the secrets I kept that he saw. The council was aware of this liability, but was still confident in the safety of the secrets. 

I'll be chanting 'cognates' in my head, don't worry. You can even spy on my thoughts if you wish. He rolled his eyes, as Gertrude and Jetson watched us with wide eyes. 

"Alright. Let's see how far along you are in your training." I declared. "Together, you two will try and pass Fitz's blocking."

"Why not yours?" Jetson said confidently.

"Because, mine is impenetrable. Councillor Emery cannot get passed it. You may try if you wish." I said, and they both nodded. Gertrude approached me and I gave her permission. She placed her hands on my temples, as Jetson put his hand on her forearm. I immediately felt their presence in my mind, and I strengthened the blocking even further as I felt them push against it. The force was weak, and it was evident they weren't pouring all their effort into breaking my blocking. They trusted each other, but not enough to fully rely on one another as Fitz and I did. Their presence left, and Gertrude stood there in shock. 

"Alright. So I know what we need to work on." I said, smiling. "You guys trust each other, but not enough. For example, let's take the trust fall to another level." I said glancing at Fitz. He nodded, and I grinned at him. "You guys have to catch each other as the other falls backwards. The catch is that the catching is to be done by telekinesis." I said. "Fitz and I will demonstrate." I said, standing up. Fitz stood as well, and I nodded. I fell backwards, and an inch from the ground I stopped, Fitz holding me up with his mind. I nodded and he let me go gently, and I did the same for him.