Chapter 2

"I did it so I could help you guys find out more!" He shouted, using his hands to speak. "And don't forget what I got from them." He added.

"Yes, thank you for the caches. But that doesn't change the fact that if you hadn't betrayed us in the first place the Neverseen never would've gotten Kenric's cache in the first place." I growled. 

Sophie.... Fitz warned. I could sense the anger in Fitz's mind. He wasn't trying to hide it from me. 

"You don't understand." He said, his voice cracking once again. 

"Understand what? Wanting more info on your family? Wanting to help friends? I do that without betraying them. What don't I understand Keefe?" I said, crossing my arms.

"My mom had something planned for me." I scoffed. 

"And I have something planned for me, don't I? Hm? Or did you forget the fact that I'm genetically engineered and based off Alicorn DNA. Forget the fact that I'm meant  to fight against the Neverseen?" I interrupted.

"Project Lodestar." He blurted. "I was part of that." He mumbled. 

"And I'm part of Project Moonlark! The significance of Project Lodestar? Tell me that. Tell me that, Keefe."

"Tell me the significance of your project? Hm? Little puppet. Horse girl" He said, losing his temper.

"The significance? Change the Elvin world for the better. At least I don't betray my friends. Horses are loyal. And I am not a puppet." I said easily. "Now, what's the significance of your little project?" 

"To defeat you." He muttered. The anger in the room intensified. I didn't need to be an empath to know that.

"You joined a project.....to defeat me?" I said, staring at him with wide eyes. 

"I needed the info, Sophie." 

"And I needed, well need,  info on a lot of things! Some of them the Neverseen probably have! Does that mean I go around betraying my friends and joining a project that is working against one of my best friends? No!" 

"You're not assertive enough!" He accused. 

"How's this for assertive?" I started. "I. Currently. Hate. You." I growled. "Huh? How's that, Sencen?" 

"Sophie." Fitz said out loud. He knew I was about to cross a line, one that I wouldn't be able to come back from. The sound of our cognate rings snapping together filled the silence that Fitz's warning created. I sat back down, in between Tam and Fitz again. 

Sophie..... Fitz said, and I mentally sighed.

I know, Fitz. I shouldn't have lost control there. I replied, already knowing what he was going to say. 

You deserve to let loose sometimes. I just wish it wasn't in front of the councillors. 

Wonder what they'll do to me now. 

Nothing. If anything they might do something to Keefe. Judging on how they're staring at him. 

Why won't he tell us what he knows about Nightfall? 

I don't think the info is for Natalie's ears. 

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But it's her mom and dad we're talking about. Doesn't she deserve to know?

And what if Nightfall is a disturbing place? Do we want her to know that her parents were there? He reasoned. I fidgeted with my gloves, pulling them off and gripping Fitz and Tam's hands. Tam was playing with his enhanced ability to play with shadows, and Fitz's presence in my brain became noticeably stronger.