Epilogue

*Shannon*

The grass swayed beautifully in the wind. The birds chirped loudly in the nearby trees. Peace. It's exactly what was needed. After all the turmoil that Zack and I endured, finally being happy felt amazing. A small frame appearing in front of my face interrupted my thoughts. "Mommy are you going to come play with us," Marie asked with a grin. I smiled and stood up to go find her brother and father. Her hand felt so small in my hand. I looked down at her, and remembered how hard I fought to get the twins here. From Zack being overprotective for the remainder of my pregnancy, and the bed rest that I had to endure. It's been 4years since Marie and Mario were born. It seems just yesterday, that I was in the delivery room.

*Flashback*

"Mrs. Johnson, I need for you to keep pushing."
"Do you think that i'm not doctor? You think I'm sitting here relaxing when two watermelons are trying to escape from my body?"
"That's not what I'm saying at all ma'am," the doctor said quickly. Zack kissed my forehead, and said, "Sweetie, just push. Let's not give the doctor a hard time for doing his job. We have to do this to get are little angels." Following his orders, I pushed a couple more times, and out first was Mario Isaiah Johnson. His curly brown locks lay flush against forehead. I grinned happily when his eyes shot open and those golden orbs looked around the room. His little sister Marie Isabella Johnson followed two minutes later. Her head full of curly black hair informed me of why I had so much heartburn during the pregnancy. I snapped my head at Zack, as he clutched his chest. Turning back to Marie, I saw the emerald eyes that pierced through the room. I chuckled out loud, and said, "Like father, like daughter." The sounds of the healthy cries filled the air. Zack cut the umbilical cords, and kissed my lips. Brushing the hair from my face, he leaned down, and said, "You did it my love." We made two beautiful angels who, I already knew would be spoiled rotten. I smiled, and my smile grew as my children were placed in my arms. I kissed both their foreheads, and vowed from that day that I would always protect them no matter what.

After a while, our parents came into the room, and saw their grandchildren. Tears of joy filled the room over the coos of the twins. My mother and father held, Mario, as Trevor and Mina held Marie. I smiled at the love that surrounded the twins. Zack held my hand as we both admired the view.

End of Flashback

I watch as my children play with Zack. He has grown in these years that we have been together. Not once has he made me question his leadership. He has always been by my side. Through all the drama and turmoil that we have been on, I wouldn't want to endure all those things with anyone else. I wouldn't want anyone else to be the father of my children, or my partner for the rest of my life.

Zack's head snapped up as he saw me looking at him. He smiled and started walking towards me. Even now, I still get butterflies in my stomach whenever I see him. He always makes me feel like a teenager falling in love for the first time. He links hands with mine, and asks, "What are you thinking about my love?"
"Just how blessed we are. Look at healthy children, and look at our healthy selves. After all the things that people have done to us, we still come out on top."
"We're like a Phoenix, Shannon. We always rise through the ashes," Zack states pulling me into his chest. I think about his words carefully, and realize that he is right. We always make it through every storm that we endure. People have been trying to get between us every since the day I bumped into him in the hallway. From the moment we were placed together to work on a culture project, we were inseparable. Who would've thought the guy with a racist girlfriend and stepmother would fall for the new black girl at school?

I look at our children, and pray that they never have to undergo the things that Zack and I had to. I never want them to feel that they are not enough. I pray that they always know that their skin color doesn't make them any different than anyone else, and that they will find someone who falls head over heels for them the way I fall for their father everyday.

Looking down at my stomach, I rubbed it sweetly, and said, "You my princess will never be without love. You will always be surrounded by love, and two loving parents, and older siblings who will always have your back."

A/N: Thank you all for your support and love. I thank you so much for sticking by my side. I really appreciate all of it. You guys are the best, and I look forward to bringing you guys more content.

It's been real Shannon and Zack. You're my first love! <3