Chapter 8- More Surprises

**Zack**

The flight back to California was hectic. We got a layover, and then had to sit on the runway for and hour and a half. I had become restless, so I took some meds to put me to sleep. Shannon literally had to shake me hard to wake me up when we got back. I was drowsy as we got the bags, and made our way to the car. Shannon decided that it was best for her to drive, because I was slowly drifting back to sleep. Things were so haywire getting back to the condo, there was a punch of packages waiting for us in the backroom of the lobby, and I knew that Shannon would want to go through them tonight.

As we got off the service elevator, I held the door open for the three guys that were helping us. They were all pushing big crates, and it just made me realize that my night was going to be long. Shannon tipped the guys, and came back into the living room, where I had stacked up all the boxes. As she came into the room, she looked at the boxes dreadfully, and said, “Can we do this tomorrow? You look dog tired, and I don’t want to keep you up?”

“You sure?”

“Yeah, because I’m going to need your help with the thank you cards, and I need you awake honey.”

“Well, we can do it over breakfast tomorrow? Sound good?”

“Yep, now come on so we can get you to bed,” she said grabbing my hand. I stared at Shannon’s waist as she pulled me to the bedroom. I found my eyes roaming all over her body, and I bumped into her as she came to a halt in the hallway.

Wrapping my arms around her waist, I asked, “What’s wrong?”

“I just felt nausea all of a sudden.”

“Is it you body catching up with you from the flight? Because you know that’s how you were feeling when we got to Madison.”

“Yeah I think so, I’m ready for bed now too.”

“Well, let’s go to bed then,” I said gently pushing her into the bedroom. We both drifted off quickly. I was sleeping peacefully, until I heard Shannon in the bathroom throwing up. Sitting up groggily, I could hear the sound of the water running from the faucet. Shannon came back into the room a moment later, and I stared at her concerned. She gave me a soft smile, and lay down next to me. Wrapping my arms around her protectively, I held her until she went to sleep in my arms.

I awoke to the smell of pancakes and bacon, which meant that Shannon was up and feeling better. After using the bathroom and brushing my teeth, I made my way to kitchen. Walking up behind Shannon, I kissed her on her cheek. She let out a girlish giggle, that made her cheeks turn bright red. She gently pushed me away, so that she could finish cooking. I sat down at the kitchen counter, and waited for her to finish the food. As she finished, she placed the food on a tray, and walked into the living room. Grabbing the pitcher of orange juice and two glasses, I followed behind her. Shannon looked like a kid at Christmas, as she eyed over the stack of wrapped gifts.

Deciding that she wanted to open the smallest gifts first, Shannon started opening cards. Gift card after gift card, money after money, Shannon was yelling out names to write on notepad. I had to write what gift came from whom, and if they sent more than one. Moving on to the medium size stack of gifts, Shannon opened a gift from my Aunt Louise and Uncle David. Inside was a necklace for Shannon, that read “Mrs. Johnson”, and a pair of cufflinks that had Shannon and I’s initials on it with a bigger J in the middle. Shannon immediately put the necklace on, and turned to me for approval. I nodded and she squealed with joy. We got an Espresso machine, and a waffle iron. Shannon’s Grandmother sent her a sewing machine with a note attach, telling her to make me something warm like a sweater. Shannon laughed as I read the note, and said, “Yeah like that’s gonna happen?”