Chapter 51

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

51

In the Sky Tower, a terrible event occurred. In a desperate attempt to save his brother from being mind-wiped by the Arlunni, Prince Rian had attempted to bond with the magic-spawn, opening his own mind up to the arcane magic and memories stored in his brother's head.

During all of this, Arryk could only watch helplessly. At first, it looked like Rian would be successful. He had made a mind-link with Kyran, though the boy had resisted.

The tower room was full of Arlunni guards, including Ehina and her sisters. Also, the enchantress Emmara had attempted to stop Rian, but failed.

Arryk, determined to carry out his promise of protection to Rian, drew his sword to keep the Arlunni from interfering. Barris, a mere boy, had also drawn his sword and stood ready to fight alongside Arryk. Truthfully, Barris was better at strategy and spells than actual hand-to-hand combat.

In the end, Rian had started screaming, over and over. He'd unlocked some dark section of the magic-spawn's mind. Arryk watched in horror until Rian finally collapsed, unconscious onto the floor.

As soon as he did, Emmara rushed past Arryk and Barris to Rian's prone form. Rian was alive, but in a state of mental agony. "We'll get him to the castle healers," said Emmara. She beckoned to several castle mages, who teleported with young prince.

Then Emmara turned to Arryk and Barris and scowled. "Get out!" she told them.

Feeling guilty, Arryk put his sword away, as did Barris. The whole venture had gone awry. Arryk turned to go, but Barris instead went over to the magic-spawn. So Arryk waited, to see what he would do.

Kyran just stood there, unmoving, standing in the spot he had been when Rian attempted to bond with him. Barris went to Kyran, and gently shook him. "Kyran, are you all right?"

Emmara watched, no doubt wondering what state Kyran was in. But the boy didn't respond to any of Barris's prodding. When all this failed, he turned to Emmara. "Do you think he's all right?"

"I don't know," confessed Emmara, but she signaled for Barris to leave.

Resigned, Barris stopped his efforts to rouse Kyran, but he hesitated to leave. Instead, he got a chair and brought it over and set it behind Kyran. "Kyran, sit down," he said. But the boy didn't move at all, just stood there.

Gently, Barris pushed Kyran backwards until he sat down in the chair. Sat there, staring forward, looking at nothing. Barris touched Kyran's cheek, as though to assure himself that there was life in the boy.

Finally, Barris abandoned him and let Emmara shoo both him and Arryk out of the tower. She left two castle mages standing guard in the tower with him.

As soon as they were out, Arryk hit Barris upside the head. "What were you thinking—suggesting such a plan to Rian?"

Barris looked a little offended. "It stopped the Arlunni, didn't it? They left Kyran alone, instead of mind-wiping him."

"Magnificent," said Arryk. "You saved the magic-spawn! But in so doing, you've doomed one of the greatest mages of our time, the Undoubted Heir to the Throne of Cathal to ...." Arryk wasn't even sure what would happen to Rian. "Insanity!" was the closest probable fate that came to mind. He turned and marched off towards the castle. Barris followed close behind him.