Chapter 50

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

50

Awareness returned to Rian with a jolt. He found himself on his knees on the floor of the inquisition room in the castle dungeon. Vaguely, he remembered being helped out of the chair where the Matrizar Genesse had forced him to submit to a mind-scan.

His muscles felt weak; he trembled slightly. His skin was sweating profusely. How long had it been? What had she seen in his mind? His thoughts were still foggy from the confusion spell she had put on him.

"Get him up," he heard Genesse say. Someone helped him stand. He tried to pull his mind into focus to hear what she had to say.

"Well?" he demanded.

Genesse stood in front of him, considering him carefully. "I am convinced that the magic-spawn must be destroyed."

"No!" objected Rian.

"His knowledge and abilities are greater than I realized. Such a creature cannot be allowed to exist on our plane," she said coldly.

"But ..." Rian tried to think of an argument, but his mind swam.

"However," said Genesse, "there may be an alternative to destroying him."

"What?"

"It may not work, but it would be worth a try. We could mind-wipe the boy, destroy all the stolen knowledge he gained from the necromancer, Molan."

Rian stared at her in horror. "Mind-wipe him?"

"Yes, it's the humane thing to do. He would have no memory of who he was or what had happened to him."

"He wouldn't remember me ... or mother? Nothing?"

"Nothing," she said. "Also, because you were exposed to the tainted knowledge that he holds, we would have to wipe all memories that you have connected to the magic-spawn."

A sick feeling came over Rian. "What? Do you mean that I wouldn't even remember my own brother?"

"I'm afraid so."

"No. No! Absolutely not! Unacceptable!"

"This isn't open for discussion," said Genesse. "It may not work. If not, then we'll have to destroy him."

And Rian wouldn't even remember him? The thought turned his stomach—that they could even do such a thing. "I won't let you."

She considered this in a detached way. "I'm sorry that you feel that way. But once it was done, you could continue in the Challenge. Until then, hold him in the tower." This last remark was aimed at Ehina. Apparently, the conversation was over. Ehina took his arm and began to lead him out.

He tried to resist and nearly lost his balance. All his muscles were weak. He wondered of she'd done an enervation spell on him as well. "Genesse! I'm telling you—I won't let you do it!" he shouted.

But then he was out the door. Ehina and four castle guards escorted him through the halls and out towards the Sky Tower, where his brother, Kyran, was being held.

His feet felt like lead. He had no energy at all. And the knowledge that they would destroy his little brother, who was only ten years old, the thought just crushed him. What could Rian do against the Arlunni?