Chapter 23

Please note: I am updating this draft of The Prisoner of Arlunn. The most important change is that the main character's name has been changed from Philip to Rian.

23

The Heir of Ashilan, Arryk, arose early the day after the Challenge Induction. Today, the games began. No one would be safe from this day forward, though he didn't expect any fatalities today. That would come later ... months later, hopefully.

On their homeworlds, they'd played the same game to get here but at home there had been a failsafe trigger spell, something that transported the loser out of a game if he suffered a serious injury. That counted as a "shadowkill" to whoever triggered the spell by attacking the loser. There were no such failsafes in this Challenge, any injury could mean death, at any time.

He worried some for his little sister, Braejeunné—but she'd known the risks when she'd won the competition on Ashilan, their home world. Her skills were good, he couldn't argue that. Now she was his Second in the Challenge.

What worried him was that he didn't intend to lose. He planned to fight to the death to be the King of the Seven Worlds of Cathal. If he failed, it was possible they would both die.

Shaz, the Prince of Chuness, had this goal in mind also. He would go all the way—and he was a tough opponent. In ways, he could be an idiot—especially dealing with people. But in the fine art of magic—no one was better. Perhaps not even Arryk. But Arryk could gather support and he intended to do so. He hoped Rhana of Kennari would come in on his side; being from one of the Out-worlds, she had little chance of winning on her own. She just wasn't good enough. And she was young.

Her cousin, Ashette of Loncalla, was in the same situation. Very likely, she couldn't stand against Shaz or himself in a duel. But it was well known that Ashette liked both Shaz and Chlan, though it wasn't clear if either of them returned her interest.

Sennae of Corisse was a wild card. He could never tell with her whose side she was on—or if she planned to go to the end, to the duels.

Then there was Azure of Doona. She would threaten Arryk, posture, play the different sides, he was sure. But in the end, she'd throw in with him. He knew her too well. So, he wasn't very worried about her. Let her play her stupid games, if it pleased her.

Then there was Boy-Prince, from Earth, named Rian. No magic skills whatsoever. Ignorant about the history, culture and politics of the Seven Worlds of Cathal that was his legacy as the Favored Heir. He'd come from nowhere at the last minute to reclaim his position ... from some out-world named Earth, where he'd been born and raised. If he wasn't the grandson of the assassinated King Athelas, no one would have taken him seriously.

But there was a chance (however minuscule) that Rian might turn out to be extremely gifted. Rian was definitely a wild card.

Arryk had expected him to drop out before the Induction, once it became clear that he lacked all preparation. To continue would be suicide—yet he did. The Favored Heir no doubt just wanted to hang onto his status, for whatever reason. He'd play it safe, stick to the safe zones, such as his quarters, and avoid the Arena—where anyone could assassinate him freely.

Anyway, most likely he'd be useless as an ally or in combat.

Arryk woke Braejeunné and they met Rhana and her Second (and boyfriend) Quince in the hall near their quarters, which was a safe zone.

"Morning," said Arryk.

"It's too early, Arryk," muttered Rhana.

"They open the Interstitium today. I don't want to get behind." He turned and headed towards the Arena. "From now on, no one enters the Arena without a partner, agreed? I don't want to lose anyone this early."