CHAPTER 1 Dawn

Kateryna didn't even have time to scream when a dark shape came out of nowhere and slammed into her car.

Everything was a whirl of movement. The car skidded out of control and rolled over, tumbling down the cliff.

She gasped as she was rammed against the steering wheel, hearing a crack and feeling unbearable pain pierce her collarbone and shoulder. Her head slammed against the window and her consciousness slipped out of her grasp, darkness overwhelming her vision.

***

The sound of birds chirping woke Kateryna. The first rays of dawn were lighting up the sky.

Her head was throbbing, and her whole body felt battered. Her temper flared with the feeling of sudden helplessness, and she cursed, her voice raspy and cracking.

"Damn old car, stupid nonexistent airbags. Why would birds even be chirping? Shut up!" The birds quieted and flew away to a respectful distance, as if they heard her rant.

"What the..."

Kateryna tried moving and immediately cried out. Fear crept up her spine at the feeling of sharp pain. She looked around, using minimal movement, trying to see the full extent of her situation. Her legs were pinned and one arm was in a crooked position. There was stinging cuts all along her body, and a deep wound near her side. Using her other arm, she touched her stinging head wound and came away with drying blood.

She stared at the rising sun through the window, trying to build up the courage to put back her dislocated shoulder, and fight down the sense of growing nausea. She knew she wasn't feeling the true intensity of her pain, with all the adrenaline running in her veins.

Taking a deep breath, she took hold of her useless arm, gritting her teeth, and pulled it across her body sharply. She screamed through her teeth, hearing a pop in her shoulder. Black spots danced around in her vision, and she struggled to stay conscious. She used her good shoulder and tried to open the rammed-in door.

"Third time's the charm," she gasped.

The car door suddenly gave way and she fell towards the grassy floor. She squeezed her eyes shut, expecting jarring pain, but it didn't come. Her body had become numb.

She peered through her eyelashes to see the silhouette of someone leaning over her, and that was the last thing she saw before she blacked out again.