CHAPTER 14 Duel

Nobody could believe that Kateryna, a new student, had bested Elena, a student that was highly ranked in the Celestial Competition, in a mere training match.

It was just unfathomable.

It had spread throughout the academy like wildfire, and people thought it was only a beginner's luck. Surely someone like Elena was unbeatable by an inferior student. Only those that had witnessed the match knew it was skill and not luck.

However, Kateryna could not pull it off again, because she had no idea how she had done it in the first place.

And some took advantage of that.

Kateryna grabbed her tray of food and went to sit at an empty table. Tegan and Lee joined her.

"That move was really cool! How did you do it?"

Kateryna sighed and looked at the girl standing beside her.

"I don't know how I did it, I'm sorry."

The girl frowned in disappointment, opening and closing her mouth as if she wanted to ask again, then left.

Kateryna sighed. "I don't even think that girl was in our class."

Tegan laughed. "They're trying to learn that move from you, but they're not getting the message that you don't even know how you did it."

"Yeah, that about sums it up."

Lee chewed thoughtfully. "How can you not know how you defeated Elena, though. Was it instinct or what?"

Kateryna nodded.

"Mean girl coming this way," warned Tegan.

Kateryna looked up to see Elena storming towards her, a murderous intent in her eyes. A few girls followed her, looking equally angry at Kateryna.

"How dare you sit there eating like nothing happened? I, Elena of Phoenix, had demanded a rematch. How dare you ignore me and walk away?!" She shouted at Kateryna, chin held high like royalty.

Kateryna looked her, blinking. "Uh..."

"Don't 'uh' me! I challenge you to a duel of swords. Meet me at the arena tomorrow when the sun is at its peak. Then we'll see who is better." And with that, Elena flounced off, her clique trailing behind her.

"Well then..." Lee said, unfazed.

Kateryna frowned. "What is wrong with her?"

Tegan swallowed her food before speaking. "You hurt her pride pretty badly when you bested her in that training match in front of the whole class. And not only that, some of your ranking points get taken away by your defeater if you lose a match, no matter if it's practice or real, so some of her points were given to you. You brought her down, she'll be out for blood."

She looked up at the ceiling thoughtfully and added as an afterthought, "people from Phoenix are quite the prideful lot."

"Phoenix? You mean the academy?"

"The realm of that academy is called Phoenix, yes. They specialize in the fire element."

Kateryna sighed, looking down at her sandwich, her appetite diminished. "Can I just not go?"

Tegan opened her mouth to answer, but the voice that came was male. She snapped her jaw closed, bewildered.

"That would be a bad idea. You'll be seen as a coward, and it'll be just what Elena wants."

They whirled around to see Raiden standing by their table, arms crossed, sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His hair was ruffled and his collar unbuttoned.