CHAPTER 20 Reckless

The roar of the spectators was a dull buzz to Kateryna's ears. Her heart thudded violently against her chest and she could already feel the heat from the sand.

Bane entered the open space from the other side, and they walked towards each other. They bowed and got into attack position. Bane was poised like a cobra, fangs bared.

In the corner of her eye, Kateryna saw a flash of gold and darted at Bane, swinging her sword. Sparks flew as metal hit metal. Kateryna pushed at the hilt but his strength was greater than hers.

Kateryna jumped back suddenly with a quick slice of the blade. A cut appeared on Bane's cheek.

He narrowed his eyes, his grip on his sword tightened. He reached for his belt and quickly unsheathed a dagger. In a flash, he was in front of Kateryna, determined to strike her with his poisoned blades.

Raiden watched with Tegan and Lee, silently observing while the other two cheered for their friend loudly. Bane was lean but strong, allowing him to be agile and continuously cut the opponent with his poisoned daggers while keeping them busy and pressuring them with his sword in the other hand.

The audience watched with bated breath. Their back and forth sword fighting seemed endless.

"They seem to be about the same level," Tegan commented, her eyebrows furrowed.

Raiden sighed. "No, they're not. Kateryna is slowly being pushed back. If Bane only fought with his sword, sure she would be just as good, but his dagger is giving her trouble. She's not completely sure how to handle two different blades at once. Bane's dagger is like a viper, waiting for an opening to strike and poison its prey."

Tegan stared at Raiden, her eyes wide. "Damn, you sure are dark. Have more faith, Kateryna's not that weak."

Raiden winced as he was reminded of Kateryna's words.

Bane slipped on loose sand and Kateryna suddenly lunged. The crowd gasped, expecting Kateryna to turn the tables, when Bane suddenly ducked to the side and stabbed his dagger deep into Kateryna's thigh.

Raiden clenched his teeth. Kateryna wasn't in the concentrated state she had been in when she fought against Elena, if anything, she looked like that win really had been a fluke after all. "What's she doing... " He muttered.

Kateryna shouted in pain and limped away from Bane, who was back on his feet, another dagger in hand.

Her vision began to blur, the poison immediately taking effect. She yanked the dagger roughly from her thigh, blood streaming down her leg, and dropped the bloodied dagger.

She lunged at Bane again, aggressively pounding against his sword, each swing stronger than the next. However, she was only swinging her sword around recklessly, with no strategy evident. Bane cut her relentlessly with his dagger while blocking her attacks with his sword. The onlookers began to murmur among themselves, doubting whether she really defeated such a high ranking student before.

Kateryna fell on one knee and doubled over, the poison seemingly taken over. She twitched, the pain spreading through her body and almost paralyzing her. Her eyes were clouded. She had trouble breathing.

Bane pointed his sword at her. "Are you done? Stop attacking so recklessly and just give up. You can't defeat my poison."

Kateryna tensed. "This poison is nothing", she gritted out.

Suddenly, Kateryna sliced his shin, causing Bane to stumble backward. She swung her sword along the ground, flinging sand into his eyes, and tackled him to the ground. He had embedded his dagger in her shoulder and was holding back her sword from cutting his throat with his own. He grunted and pushed her to the side. They had ended up back at where Bane had first struck her in the leg, and Kateryna grabbed the dagger she dropped previously, and with lightning speed, stabbed him in the chest as he tried to get up. He fell back to the ground, limp. Kateryna collapsed beside him.

There was a hush in the arena, before the crowd exploded into an uproar. Healers rushed in and carried them away. 

_

"Do you understand what you've just done? You almost killed a fellow student!" Raiden shouted at Kateryna, who had been administered to. Clean bandages wrapped her shoulder and thigh.

"Don't raise your voice at me. I know I was reckless, I'm sorry, but isn't it okay now? He's not dead." Kateryna avoided her friends stares. Her eyes were dark and empty.

Raiden, Tegan, and Lee were shocked. She seemed like a completely different person. They hadn't talked to Kateryna often for a few weeks but they never expected such a drastic change.

Lee said weakly, "what happened-?" "You're lucky he's not dead after you stabbed his right in the chest, with one of his own poisoned daggers, no less. But if Lady Sera and Healer Celine weren't there, he would be." Raiden cut in. "Did you have a nightmare or something? Did someone say something to you? The Kateryna I know wouldn't be so reckless and distracted like you were out there. And she especially would not attack with an intent to kill."

Ksteryna gripped her bed sheets. "Stop lecturing me! You're being annoying! I won, that's all you should care about. I know what I did. Just leave me alone."

Raiden flinched at her harsh tone, and left the infirmary room, Tegan and Lee following. They passed Liam as they exited the room.

"You really can't keep your cool when it comes to Kateryna, huh?" Tegan tried to lighten the mood. Raiden stopped by the exit. "You guys go ahead, I have something to do." Tegan and Lee exchanged glances and left.

Raiden leaned against the wall and sighed.

_

Kateryna looked up as Liam sat on the seat by her infirmary bed. He smiled. "How are your injuries?"

Kateryna sighed. "Are you going to lecture me too?"

"No, why?" Liam looked confused.

"'Cause I was reckless and almost killed Bane?"

Liam laughed softly. "Oh, that was pretty reckless. But you did it to survive, didn't you? Good job on your second official win."

Kateryna blinked, and looked down, muttering, "my injuries are fine."

"That's good. I did notice you were quite distracted though, what happened?"

Kateryna hesitated. "I... had a bad dream about someone I knew. I felt so frustrated that she was suffering and I couldn't do anything to help."

"Then I'll help you get stronger so you won't feel that way again." Liam promised.

After a while, Liam left, only to be stopped by Raiden outside the infirmary.

Raiden grabbed Liam by the collar and shoved him roughly against the wall. "You bastard. What the hell did you do to her? The girl I saw in that fight was not Kateryna!"

Liam blinked, and then chuckled softly. "What are you talking about? I didn't do anything. You just don't know her as well as you think."

Raiden gritted his teeth. "You know what I mean! What did you say to her to make her so ruthless, so... like you?"

"Nothing unusual," Liam shrugged. "I just taught her that wars are not won by people who follow the rules and play nice, but by people who do whatever they can to defeat the enemy. You will never grow stronger if you show mercy to the enemy. And especially not with the skills this weak academy teaches people."

"You-!"

Liam broke free of his grip and walked away. "You should leave her alone, you'll only bring her danger. I will protect her better than you can."