CHAPTER 15 Battle

Elena gave Kateryna one last piercing glare before running out of the arena.

The arena bursted into chaos. Everyone started to hurry out of the arena. Kateryna took a deep breath before plunging into the crowd, trying to get out.

As she was pushed and shoved around by random people, someone grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the side. Kateryna looked over to see Lee leading her out of the crowd.

Kateryna shouted over the clamor. "Where are you going?"

"There's a smaller exit for the competitors, it'll be faster than trying to leave through the main entrance." Lee shouted back.

They ran into the small entrance where Kateryna had entered from and she briefly wondered why she hadn't thought of that first.

"Where's Tegan?"

"She told me to find you. I think she's trying to get the people organized so they don't trample each other to death." Kateryna almost chuckled at how nonchalant Lee sounded about this whole attack situation.

"Way to start a rainstorm, by the way." Lee laughed.

Kateryna flushed. "I didn't think that would happen."

"It's fine. No harm done. Besides pissing off Elena, that is."

"She was already pissed." Kateryna chuckled.

As they ran down the dirt path to the academy, a voice called out to them from behind. They turned to see Tegan running towards them.

"I thought you were helping the people." Lee said.

"I got someone else to do it. I couldn't miss the fun. Come on, we've got to help the others secure the grounds." Tegan replied, sounding excited.

Kateryna had a bad feeling about the demons and couldn't help but think that maybe they were underestimating their enemy.

She followed them to the armory, where they went to put on leather armor. Kateryna changed to another one, tossing her slashed up armor to the side.

Once they've gotten ready, Tegan gestured to Kateryna and Lee. "You guys go into the forest, I'm going to stay on the academy grounds and help organize our defenders."

They nodded and went their separate ways.

_

Kateryna grimaced as the bloody ashes of another demon splattered on her boots. She turned to Lee, who was dusting off her armor besides Kateryna.

"How come the demons die and turn to ash while angelbloods die and litter the ground with bodies?"

Lee looked up. "That's some morbid question." She chuckled. "Well, to put it simply, we have humanity to ground us. Demons don't."

Kateryna slashed as a demon sprinted towards her, turning him into ashes.

"But the demons look like humans too."

Lee threw one of her daggers into the trees and a guttural scream reached their ears. She held out her hand and the grime-covered dagger came flying back. When it neared her face, she grabbed the hilt out of the air.

"Don't be fooled by their looks. That's just one form of demons. You've met a hellhound before, that's another."

As if to prove her point, a hellhound came barreling towards them through the trees and crashed into Kateryna, sending them to the ground. Kateryna pushed against the hellhound with her sword, who was snapping its jaws at her face. The silver was slowly burning its fur. Drool dripped onto the side of Kateryna's face and she gagged. Twisting her blade so the edges faced them, she beheaded the hellhound. It exploded, covering Kateryna with grime.