Haunting Dreams

I've just gotten back from my mission and to say it was a simple task would be a lie.

After realizing that there still members of Hydra, even after all of these years, we needed to look deeper into the rogue members that remain underground.

The one good thing about the mission was realizing I still got it. I was not effected by the ice and my enhancements with the super soldier serum haven't changed or altered in any way.

I threw my bag back to my bed and just lay on top of the covers. I try my best to just reset my brain from everything that has been going on.

I don't remember falling asleep.

I remember Bucky on the train.

He grabbed my shield and fired at the machine. It rocketed a hard fire blast to him and I saw him fly out of the hole the explosion made. I fight back and the machine is down. I have to find Bucky.

When I look out I expected to see Bucky hanging on the side, but instead I's Heylee hanging on for dear live. I have to save her.

" Heylee! Hang on!"

"Steve! Help me please!" I heard her scream and I rushed to get her out.

I reach for her and I see Bucky hanging on the other side and he looks mad.

" You can't save everyone, Steve. You didn't save me...and you won't save her." Bucky warned as he grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the train bar making her fall. I could hear Heylee's scream echo in the mountains and I yelled for her.

"NO!" I woke up in a sweat and breathing heavy. It was just a dream, but i'm actually shaken. I don't know what time it is but I take my phone and call Heylee. I had to hear her voice and know she was okay.

I heard it ring several times. I was going to hang up but then a groggy voice answered.

" Hello?"

I breath heavy and rub my eyes. She's okay.

" Hello?" I hear again.

"Hi." I whisper, and surprised she could actually hear me.

She was shuffling about from what I could make out. " Steve?"

I was so relieved to hear her. I let out a breath and replied. " Yeah, it's me. I...I uh..."

" Steve Are you okay? Are you back home? " her voice was heavy still with sleep and concern.

I thought about if I was. Before I called Heylee I was scared and unsure. Calling Heylee I felt better.

" I'm okay now. I just...needed to hear your voice.I'm sorry I woke you."

I waited to hear what she had to say. " It's three in the morning. Do you want to talk about it? If not it's okay. As long as your feeling better."

Why was she so nice? Most women during my time didn't care for people like Heylee did. But I was scared. Not for me. For her.

"I don't...deserve your friendship. You should keep being you, without me as a part of it."

I heard more shuffling and I assumed she jumped up from her bed, fully awake now.

" Steve. Please don't think like that. I am so glad I met you."

" Being my friend...has consequences. I don't want to hurt you."

" The only way to hurt me is if you say 'we shouldn't be friends anymore.'Is that what you truly want?"

I paused. " No, It's the last thing I want."

" Okay." she said groggy.

" I'm sorry I woke you."

" It's okay. If you need anything just call me or meet me at the bakery."

" Okay. I will."

"Promise?" she asked with a small voice.

I smile. She is so young at heart. " Promise."

"Okay. Sweet dreams Steve."

"Heylee, wait. Are you still there?" I asked hoping she hasn't hung up yet.

"Yes?" her voice more awake.

" Thank you."

" Always." She whispered, and my gut tightened.

" Goodnight Heylee."

The phone beeped telling me that she had hung up. I sat in the dark for several minutes to see if I could go back to sleep but I was still unsettled from the dream.

For the last few hours of the night I spent in the gym. I punched all my fears away. Fear of Hydra, losing Bucky and the dream of Heylee dying. I was gonna do everything I could to protect her.

One thought came to mind which made me punch the bag straight across the room.

Was I falling for her?