Closer

Steves POV

It has been a few hours and I haven't heard from Heylee. I'm still learning about this cell phone thing. I look down at the device and see no new messages or calls.

The new agent, Romanof, comes in and notices my dismay.

" Girl problems?"

I smirked, and shook my head. " Girl, yes. Problems, not with her. She's a close friend."

She took the seat next to me and raised her shoulder. " Then why the long face? Does she have a boyfriend?"

I shook my head. " No. Even if she did that wouldn't bother me. I just feel somethings off. Usually she would have answered or have texted me back. I'm just worried about her. Especially with all the Hydra stuff coming up."

She got up and turned to the television. " There's a lot of bad things that happen...even without the help from Hydra."

I see the news was on and that it said " Famous Bakery Robbed."

I stood quick and went to the tv to raise the volume button.

" Reporter: At around 4:47p.m  this famous bakery in Brooklyn was held at gunpoint. Owner had secretly called 911 and she herself went after the robber as he demanded money from the cashier. Police informed us that the robber was taken into police custody and the owner was released back home with only suffering minor injuries. Business is to re-open on Tuesday. In other News..."

I rushed to my backpack to find my keys. I knew something felt wrong. I should have called her again.

" I have to go. Tell Coulson i'll be back when I can." I said, walking to the garage.

" Wait, Is she your friend? " Natasha asked.

I sighed, then nodded. " Please, don't tell anyone. I don't want her involved with this."

" I promise. But Steve, This is your life. You will have to involve her eventually."

I made it over the bridge and to Heylees house in less then twenty minutes. I knocked on the door, expecting to find Heylee when I see it's actually Jimmy.

" Steve..."

"I saw the news. Is she here?"

He sighed heavy and moved aside to let me in.

" I don't think she's up for company yet. She came home a little while ago...but she hasn't come out of her bedroom. I think she just needs time to process. She was the same way after her mothers funeral. She doesn't like to show her sadness to people. Especially me. She thinks she has to be brave all the time."

Steve knew what Jimmy was saying. When he woke up, Steve had a hard time adjusting to be himself again...until he met Heylee.

" Maybe I can talk to her?"

" You can try."

We walked up the stairs to her bedroom which was closed. There was no lock from what I can tell.

He still respectfully knocked on the door and spoke.

" Doll...Steve is here. He heard what happened. Can he come in?"

There was no movement from the bedroom. Not even a ruffle to turn.

Jimmy sighed and raised his shoulders.

" Can I have a minute alone with her...if you are ok with it?"

He nodded and placed a hand on my shoulder. " I'll be in the kitchen making tea if you need me."

He walked slowly down the stairs and I waited till I heard him off the staircase.

I knocked again lightly." Heylee...I'm coming in."

I waited for a few minutes but heard nothing. I opened the door. The room was dark and I noticed she was laying on top of her bed covers. She was hugging her pillow and appeared to be resting. Every few moments I could catch her breathing hitch as if she were calming down after crying.

I knelt down and came face to face with her. She had forgotten to remove her glasses and they were going to bend if they stayed there.

Slowly, I pulled them off but it had awoken her. She gasped with fright and tried to punch me but I grabbed her arms.

" Let me go! Stop!" She whimpered as she pulled with all her might but I was strong enough for her not to hurt herself.

" Heylee...look at me."  I begged and even turned on the light so she could see me more clearly.

She opened her eyes and she locked eyes with mine. The playful, happy, open woman that has been on my mind for two months is now a scared and vulnerable girl.

" It's me." I whispered and went to calm her by smoothing her damp brown hair off her eyes.

I saw, for once, her walls break down. She let a tear fall and I caught it with my thumb. I kept my hand on her cheek and she smiled.

" You're here." she said and put her hand on mine.

" I'm here." I replied.

She began to sob and I pulled her close to my chest. I let her cry. I feel like she hasn't shown this side to anyone in a long time and it is just what she needs to heal herself.

After a few minutes she calmed down and pulled away from me. She wiped her eyes, and tried to present herself less upset.

" I took down a robber." She whispered.

" I heard." I added with a small smile. " I'm so proud of you."

She sat up in her bed and moved into a light I could see her better. I could make out the bruises on her neck which from hours of healing turned a dark purple/blue.

I couldn't stop my hand from grazing her neck softly enough with my knuckles to the bruising.

" I felt so helpless." She confessed. " I never thought I could even do what I did...I just wasn't ready..." She looked like she was going back to the dark place as her eyes shifted down to the floor shamefully. " I'm an idiot to think I could take him down without getting hurt."

I moved her chin with my thumb so she could look at me as I told her truthfully. " You are so strong."

She shook her head. " No i'm not. I was stupid. I didn't care that he wanted the money. All I cared about was protecting Anna. She looked so scared and I knew the man with the gun was getting impatient. I didn't want him to hurt her."

" Do you know how amazing you are? You thought of someone else before yourself. Not many people think like that now a days. Most people in your situation would have ran out and left Anna for granted. Think of what the robber would have done if you didn't jump in. Today you are the hero."

She looks at me and she connected with me with her eyes. " How do you do that?"

I was confused. " Do what?"

She gave a small smile and sighed. " Make everything better."

I smiled as she hugged me. I kissed the side of her head and helped her out of the bed.

She moved to the bathroom and washed her face.  I watched as she placed a wet wash rag on her neck. It saddened me to see her in pain.

Then I had an idea.

" Are you up for a ride?" I asked.

" Where?"

" Someplace special to me."

So here is another chapter. Hope you guys are enjoying it. Please review and comment :-) LisaBGreen