Brooklyn

CHAPTER ONE

Steve's POV

I decided to take the bus to the old streets of my neighborhood in Brooklyn. The fare was more then I would have made in a week back in my day, but the currency is much different now.

The bridge still held up beautifully from back in the twenties.

I got off the bus once I recognized where I was. To disguise myself, I wore a red cap and my brown leather jacket, along with some sunglasses.

Much has changed. My house was torn down and replaced in its place was a deli. The park I used to play with Bucky was now cut in half. One side had basketball hoops covered in graffiti, and the other was the original park with swings and a picnic area.

Looking around the town, I recognized my favorite pizza. L&B's was still open, and crowded. Even now at even forty five in the morning.

I smiled, remembering the last time I was here. I was hanging out with Bucky and his date, waiting for one of her friends to show, in which she never did.

I got on line and waited for my turn.

" How can I help you?" The man asked.

" Can I get three square slices and a water?" I replied.

(A/N: A square is a Sicilian slice, The real L&B's is famous for it's Square pizza's)

" Sure thing, Man." He said, handing me a number to wait for my order.

Several other people behind me placed orders. Once mine was finished, I took the last seat available outside.

It was a nice day out. The weather was just comfortable for my attire. I couldn't help but enjoy listening to the sounds of people passing and cars driving. It felt familiar. It felt safe.

" Excuse me... If this seats not taken, Do you mind if I sit here?" I heard a soft voice ask.

When I looked up, I saw baby blue eyes through a pair of glasses and light brown hair. She had a sweet innocent face. " There are no other seats."

" Please." I said and stood offering my open seat in front of me.

" Thank you. I guess shivery ain't dead after all." She joked, placing her food on the table and sat down.

She had ordered the same as me, Three slices of the square, and it looked like a soda.

"I like a woman with an appetite." I said, taking a bite of my lunch.

"It's L&B's pizza. This isn't just a one slice place." She stated as she rolled up her green sweater sleeves, and then crunched into her pizza.

" Not many women eat good anymore. From what I observe they order salad. When I was young, a man took a woman out to eat. Not hear her stomach grumble."

She looked up and began to laugh.

" Well, Thats no problem with me. I love to eat as you can see." She also added a pat to her stomach as a reference that she overweight.

I was confused with her words. I didn't see her as overweight at all. Sure, she was not as skinny as a USO girl back in my day, but I wasn't interested in those girls either. I am one who never stereotyped. I was that skinny, bone-y kid everyone beat up.

We continued to eat, and every now and then we caught a glimpse of each other.

She paused and took in our surroundings. She looked at children playing behind the gates. She smiled, and then looked at the sky. She looked like fresh air and sunshine. I smiled and admired her.