3.9 - The Day of Hell part 1

Having been woken up much earlier than usual, the still mostly asleep Callie was reaching out with her arm to stop the source of the disturbance. "OW! Callie, that's my ear!" Jostled by the sudden shriek, Callie opened her eyes, and saw that she was grabbing her cousin's ear.

"Whawha? Marie?" Callie looked over at the clock to see the time. It was 6 in the morning. Then she looked at Marie, then back to the clock, then to Marie again. "Marie, what happened? Are you hurt? Hang on, I'll call the doctor!"

"I'll be fine as soon as you let go of my ear! Do I look like the snooze button to you?" Callie quickly removed her hand for Marie's head. Having calmed down some, Callie took another look at her cousin, and noticed that she was in her field disguise.

"Oopsie! We were going to go scouting this morning, weren't we?" Callie asked.

"Get it together, Cal! I thought you were supposed to be the morning person," Marie said.

"Oh, you shush, Marie!" Callie responded. She quickly hopped out of bed, and changed into her disguise. "By the way, are we taking three and four with us?"

"Not this time. We can move faster on our own and I think it will be easier to keep from being noticed this way. We don't want The Chaos to know that we're on to them." The two cousins grabbed their weapons, started heading to the south west coast.

An hour later, they had arrived at Fort Omega. The fort itself, was in poor shape. Due to being damaged from both the war and neglect, most of the interior was inaccessible. However, a lot of the exterior defenses and trench lines were still intact. Marie called up Cap'n Cuttlefish to inform him the status of the fort.

"What did gramps say?" Callie asked, when Marie hung up the phone.

"He's going to start gathering up the volunteers. Once we confirm that The Chaos is using Octavio's old headquarters as a base, they'll start heading over," Marie responded.

"I still don't like this. Using the kids is bad enough, but we only managed to get just under three hundred. I'm really scared about what's going to happen to them when they go up against a thousand of those Chaos jerks..." Callie looked away to hide the fear in her eyes.

"I know, Callie. I'm scared too. Thanks to our brilliant chancellor ignoring us AGAIN, this might be a fight we can't win." Marie placed her hand on Callie's shoulder. "But I'm going to fight, anyway. Even if all we do is buy Inkopolis some time, I'm willing to die for the city I love and the people I care about."

Callie rubbed her face a bit, then straightened up. "Yeah, you're right. I'm with you, Marie!"

"Though, what I'm thinking and what you are, might be a little different," Marie said, and finally put on her signature smirk.

"What do you mean? You like Drake and Otome too!"

"I don't think Otome needs protection, and I never said anything about Drake," Marie responded, her grin went even wider. While the flustered Callie searched for a retort, Marie turned away and went serious. "Listen, Callie. If something happens to me, I want you to run away. Promise me that at least one squid sister will make it out of this."

"What are you talking about!" Callie shouted, which made Marie jump a little. "We do everything together! We're going to beat The Chaos, and we're going home together with our friends!"

"You picked a hell of a time to get stubborn, Callie," Marie responded. The two started making their way to Octavio's old command center, which was another 20 minutes out. After walking in silence for 15 minutes, Callie spoke up.

"You know, it's been a pretty long time since it was just the two of us in the field."

"I guess so. I've gotten so used to the other agents, that I had forgotten what it's like. Though, I would have preferred that it actually was just the two of us." Marie turned towards a nearby bush.