1.3 - The Battle of OctoValley Part 1

Shara was listening to the old Inkling explain what was going on, while Levin changed into a modified version of the army uniform. To summarize, his name was Cuttlefish, and he was recruiting Levin into his Squidbeak Squadron. These were two names Shara recognized from the history books. According to Cuttlefish, the Octarians were behind the zapfish theft, and Levin would fill in for Agents 1 and 2, as Agent 3.

"But why me?" Levin asked as he set his head gear into position. "Isn't this a job for the army?"

"I tried to convince the authorities of the threat, but they wouldn't listen to me." The old man lowered his head. "I don't blame them for not wanting to start a war, but we can't just sit here and do nothing while we lose power." Cuttlefish turned back to Levin, while leaning on his cane.

"Which is where you come in. Until Agent 1 and 2 return, I need you to locate as many zapfish as you can. If we operate as a small group, we might be able to save Inkopolis without provoking another great turf war."

Levin strengthened up, and responded. "I'll do it! But to be honest, I don't have much experience. Is that really okay?"

"I like that look in your eye." Cuttlefish said, analyzing Levin. "You remind me of my grand squids." Cuttlefish then turned towards the pipe Shara was hiding in. "The same goes for the pretty lass eavesdropping on us." Levin whipped around and raised his blaster.

"Pretty good, old man," Shara said too herself, as the short 17 year old girl climbed out of the pipe. Levin's eyes widened.

"You!" He said while keeping his blaster at the ready. "You're that girl from the games!"

"And you're the fool who is about to get himself killed!" She snapped in response. "Just go back to playing turf wars. This isn't a game, kid!" Shara turned to Cuttlefish, her anger reaching the boiling point. "And you! If you really are the same Cuttlefish from the great turf war, you should know better than to recruit kids for something like this! He has no idea what the Octarians are like!"

"Oh? And I suppose you're an expert on the subject?" Levin snapped back. Before Shara could respond, Cuttlefish slammed his cane down, startling both the young inklings.

"Pipe down!" Cuttlefish said in a raised but calm tone. "I'm well aware of the dangers and how unethical it is to send a young inkling into battle." Cuttlefish's expression became pained. "But we are running out of both time and options. There was an incident in Inkopolis only minutes ago." Cuttlefish explained to the two Inklings of the S.P.A.W.N. Pad malfunction.

Levin turned to Shara. "You see? This is why I have to do this! Stay behind if you want, but I'm going!"

"Idiot..." She responded, and turned to Cuttlefish. "If he's going, than I am too. Someone has to keep him from doing something even more stupid."

"I thought you might say that." Cuttlefish said, who already had another uniform ready. "You can use my shack to change." As Shara went to change, Cuttlefish handed Levin the army version of the splattershot. "Here, you might need this."

"No thanks." Levin said, as he held up his blaster. "I'll trust in what my father gave me." Shara returned from Cuttlefish's shack, Trading her retro specs, camo zip hoodie and icy down boots for the uniform he had given her. "Oh? Not too shabby!" Levin said, jokingly.

"Shut up!" Shara responded. "Let's just get this over with."

Cuttlefish looked at the two, who were standing at attention. "From now on, you two are Agents 3 and 4 of Squidbeak. I expect you to work together and follow my directions. Is that understood?"

Shara nodded, and Levin responded with "You got it".

"Good. The first transport kettle I want you to check out is over there." Cuttlefish pointed to the once cloaked Octarian kettle. The two inklings walked over, and peered inside. "Wait! Before you go, take these with you." Cuttlefish handed the Inklings too small robots.