Chapter Two

As I set the notebooks down, Derek leaves the room. I shut off the lights and turn on my desk lamp on, and look around listening to the utter silence. I look out of the classroom door to see all the other classroom lights are off and the doors are shut. I sigh, then speak to myself, looking back down at the stack of journals.

"Well guess I should start on these...." 

Picking up the journal at the top, I look at the Name on the assessment sheet. 

"Derek...." I set the blue notebook aside. “i’ll do this one last.” I pick up the next book and start on the rest.

                                                             *                     *                     *

“What a long day!”  I groaned, Shutting the door. I enter the living room, throw my bag in the corner of the room and body slam onto the couch.

“Welcome home Derek” My uncle said, lifting his eyes from the evening paper before looking back down.

“Hey, Uncle Jack” I replied, flipping through the channels, stopping at The First 48, A murder investigation show. For a while, it was silent until my uncle put his paper down and took off his glasses.

“Now, son” my uncle started as I get up and walk to the kitchen. I give him the look letting him know I was listening and he continued. “I wanted to talk with you a bit.”

“about?” I asked taking out a knife, cutting some cheese off the block.

“It’s about your dad, mom and sister kiddo.” He replied from the other room. I froze.

“I just think it’s been long enough that maybe—“ Uncle Jack was cut off by the sound of a knife hitting wood. I stormed into the living room with fire in my eyes. My voice was filled with anger, so much anger it shook.

“No.” I looked him dead in the eye “NEVER, I NEVER WANT THEM BROUGHT UP AGAIN!” There were tears in my eyes as I shrieked at him.

"I-I'm sorry I--" Jack stammered disliking my attitude. 

"Whatever!" I storm off to my room in a huff. I will never forget what happened that night.....