Twenty Five.

Chapter Twenty Five.

-----[o0o]-----

[Guess that's thirty-one pieces of silver you've got now, huh? Sleep well, Judas.]

[Mark Millar—Civil War]

-----[o0o]-----

[Katherine’s POV]

                It was several hours before I received sustenance, by which time my tongue had very nearly cemented itself to the roof of my mouth.  It was by no means a feast, but it was more than adequate.  The cool water glided down my throat, soothing my parched insides, and I made quick work of the sandwich and apple that accompanied it. 

                I remained in that small cell, staring blandly at the blank walls.  The only change had come when a steady drip of water began in the corner farthest from the door.  I could only assume it had begun to rain, not that the observation did me much good. 

                Sophia had informed me just before her departure that there was a girl in her employ who had the ability to nullify all other abilities within a certain distance.  She neglected to mention just how great a distance it was, but I could not fault her that. If I did somehow manage to escape, that bit of information would prove invaluable.  As it was, all attempts I made to use my gifts were met with the same empty silence, though it was some time before I gave up on that completely.

                I knew Adolphus would stop at nothing to retrieve me, but for all his efforts, he would most assuredly fail because he did not know what I now knew.  Our daughter lived.  I could only imagine what sort of existence she had led, but she was alive all the same, and I would not leave here without her.

                The heavy metal door creaked wearily open, and a large blonde man stepped inside.  He regarded me coldly for a moment before retrieving the empty tray and leaving, shutting the door firmly behind him.  The bolt slid home, and I gave a sigh of resignation.  Much of my power came from my abilities, and without them, I was very nearly the withered old woman most of humans believed me to be.  There was little chance of my breaking down a dead bolted door of solid metal.

                After another hour or so, the door creaked open again to reveal Sophia, followed closely by a young girl who looked to be no more the thirteen years of age.  She was petite, with curling blonde hair that reached almost to her waist; her blue eyes were augmented by the sapphire shade of her sundress.  She regarded me dispassionately, standing with an almost unearthly stillness.

                Sophia stood for a moment in studied silence as I waited for her to speak. Finally, she consented.  “I am going to ask you a series of questions, Katherine.  I would appreciate honest answers, and in the event you are unwilling, Maeve would be most happy to change your mind.”

                “Of that I have no doubt.” I answered coldly, looking upon the small girl anew.  Her large eyes were framed by the faintest of wrinkles, a distinct mark of aging among the Gifted.  More alarming than that, however, was the depth of her gaze.  It spoke of untold years, of horrors unimaginable, and of tides of grief that refused to abate.  It left me more unsettled than I should like to admit. “Continue, then.”

                “Of course.” Sophia gave a short nod of satisfaction. “Firstly,  I should like to know with whom you seek advice outside of the Council.”

                I thought quickly, trying to surmise an answer that would both satisfy her and keep certain parties anonymous who wished to remain so.  “As you are aware, it is not at all usual for either myself or Adolphus to look outside the Council for wisdom.  In general, we accept their combined decisions, as was the design when the Council was undertaken.  Tell me, what will you do to those whom I betray?”