Chapter Sixteen.

Black and White

Chapter Sixteen.

‘Behind their lively, searching eyes one senses a doubting, a contemplative personality, always trying to make sense out of a puzzling world.’ –Adriaan Kortlandt

[Katherine Mansfield’s POV]

                It was dirtier than when I last saw it.  I’m referring to Paris, of course.  The streets were lined with people, the majority sending plumes of cigarette smoke trailing into the atmosphere as they  watched each other with identical expressions of utmost boredom.  I followed closely behind my husband, his dark cloak billowing behind him just inches from snapping me in the face.  Despite all his words to the contrary, Addie is quite old fashioned.  Any child could say that his attire quite frankly shouted out a disdain for modern fashion trends.  I smoothed my sage tweed cropped jacket, and smiled at his back.  Amateur.

                I followed him as he veered left, concentration marring his brow with a frown.  Lionel was our last chance to regain the lead on Margaret’s whereabouts.  However, his paranoid tendencies were making it rather difficult to track the man down.  The voices of the crowd died to a murmur as we walked quickly down the dimly lit alley.  Though it was full bright outside, the narrow space between the buildings on either side of us allowed for very little actual light to penetrate the gloom. 

                With yet another turn, I glimpsed a door, painted a dull brown, and bearing the sign ‘Mr.Lionel Newell, Private Eye.’  My heartbeat sped up even as Addie halted.  He was staring intently at the door, and I knew at once he was reading the emotions of whomever was inside the building.  I took his cue and pushed my mind out, keeping a separate, inner barrier around my own mind as a precaution.  There were three men inside, and one woman.  The woman’s thoughts raced rapidly around her mind, screaming for help.

                I checked the instantaneous impulse to help her, in favor of being better informed.  After peeking into each of the male minds, I repressed a shudder and immediately came back to myself.  I met Addie’s somber gaze and nodded.  He stepped up to the door and knocked loudly three times. 

                A loud voice shouted, “We’re closed!  Take your business elsewhere!”

                Addie once again knocked determinedly.  There was a murmur of angry voices, but the door remained still.  He met my eyes and nodded ever so slightly.  I gave a light sigh; I very much disliked this next bit.  Stepping forward to stand before the door, I cleared my throat.

                “Sirs,” I began clearly, feeling my husband wrap my hand in his, “We would very much like to speak with you.  I assure you that the consequences of refusal will be most severe, and I can further assure you that you will not like the manner by which we will change your mind.”

                I gave that a moment to sink in.  Addie gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, and I continued, “This is your final warning.  Please, open the door and allow us entrance.”

                There was a scuffling noise, but the door still did not move.  I took in a deep breath, closing my eyes in concentration.  This was the part I abhorred, Addie knew it as well, but it was necessary.  Letting the breath out slowly, I let my conscious drift and expand into the building before us.  As I brushed each of the men, I plucked them from their corporeal bodies, and slid them into mine, taking care to secure them before moving onto the next man.  I shuddered as their minds writhed inside mine, begging to be released.  Without opening my eyes, I nodded, and Addie squeezed my hand, lending me strength in his own way.