Chapter Twenty Six.

Chapter Twenty Six.

-----[o0o]-----

[The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.]

[Gloria Steinem]

-----[o0o]-----

[Eleanor’s POV]

                I woke, disoriented, with my head hanging off the foot of my bed and my entire left arm pinned beneath me.  As soon as I shifted, the pins and needles attacked my skin.  I gave a soft groan, rolling over to clutch at the offending limb.  After a few minutes, it returned to normal and I felt significantly more cheerful. 

                With deliberate movements I stripped, showered, and dressed, taking the time to French braid my hair and get it out of the way.  The smell of coffee greeted me as I opened my door, wafting up from the kitchen below.  I could hear a number of voices, but they weren’t loud enough to distinguish who they belonged to. 

                I stopped by Alexandre’s room, both relieved and disappointed to find him in exactly the same position as when I had fallen asleep.  Creeping in, I stared down at him.  Hard to believe so young a face had seen so many years. I guess it’s all in the eyes.  I brushed his unruly hair back off his forehead and kissed it before heading downstairs.

                Four people occupied our kitchen, all of whom fell silent when I entered.  Two of them I recognized, and two I did not.  Taylor Calloway was leaning against the wall near the back door, cradling Fletcher and merely watching the proceedings.  Liam sat at the table with a man I didn’t recognize, sipping coffee.  The last man was at the stove, watching the bubbles in a boiling pot of water, his brown hair just barely curling in the steam.

                “Eleanor! Thank God!” Taylor nearly flew across the room, grabbing my arm in a death grip. “They told me I couldn’t wake you up. Isn’t that insane? I thought you were dead, or something.”

                She crushed me in a hug, and I gasped. “Nope, I’m fine Taylor. Just tired. Uhm, why are you here exactly?”

                “I’m supposed to invite you to dinner.”

                “Really?” I leaned back, fighting a wheeze as the air returned to my lungs. “I was under the impression that most of your family hated me.”

                She rolled her eyes, handing Fletcher to me. “As if.  That’s just James.  In fact, I promised Melanie you’d show, and you don’t want to disappoint her, do you?”

                “No?”

                “Good!” She grinned, making for the door. “That’s settled then.  See you tonight!”

                She shut the door behind her firmly, only to open it a moment later, glaring. “It’s at seven. Don’t forget!”

                I took a deep breath the moment the door closed behind her, and when that wasn’t enough, stalked to the table and downed Liam’s cup of coffee in one go.  The men stared at me until my skin itched. 

                “What?!” I snapped.

                Liam gave a sigh of annoyance, but rose. “Eleanor.  This is Merrick.” He gestured to the man at the stove, who had returned to watching the bubbles, then to the man still seated at the table. “And this is Aedan.”