Chapter Thirteen.

[Black and White]

Chapter Thirteen.

[Eleanor’s POV]

                I stepped back and away from the unconscious forms on the kitchen floor.  Even little Melanie was lying on her back, mouth sagging, her left arm twisted under her in what had to be the most uncomfortable position ever.  I hit the wall, and sank to the floor, swamped in confusion and guilt.

                How had this happened?  One moment, I was afraid, then poof.  Well, I suppose I was frustrated, too.  But frustrated enough to cause this?  I stared unblinkingly at my friends, lingering on Riley’s handsome face.  Why couldn’t they have just left?  Why?

                I wanted to shake him awake, frustration rising yet again.  Why did he have to be so ridiculously stubborn?  Then I remembered how adamantly he wanted to see me, to know I was okay, and my heart melted.  I stood and walked over to him, crouching down beside him to trace a lock of hair behind his ear.  He had landed face down in the floor, his head tilted crookedly to the side.  He was protecting me.  Stupidly, but still.  I ran my hand repeatedly through his hair, stroking the golden waves gently.

                I prayed fervently I hadn’t hurt any of them, but especially him.  I thought of what I’d seen, that glimpse into our lives together, and sighed.  I could feel the war inside me, not wanting to let him in.  I loved who I had become, and I was terrified that knowing Riley, giving him that part of myself, might change me forever.  Another part of me, a larger part, was egging me on.  Whispering endlessly at me to take the leap, and trust that it would work out.  That we would work out.  It was driving me nuts.

                I pressed a soft kiss to his forehead, just as a groan sounded from the other side of the room.  The older man was stirring, rolling over to sit up with a hand clutched to the side of his head.  He met my eyes with a grimace of pain, and I felt a twinge of guilt.

                “What happened?”  He asked gruffly, eyeing the unconscious Alexandre beside him. 

                I shrugged.  “I don’t know exactly.”

                He raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.  Standing, he began to nudge James awake.  James swatted at him and rolled over, as if content to sleep on the hard wood floor.  The man shrugged and said, “I’m Avery, James’ older brother.”

                “I’m Ellie.”

                “I know.”  He shot me a wry smile, and I felt my own lips stretch to mirror his.  Of course he knew who I was. Stupid, Ellie.  He moved to wake his mom, and I shifted closer to Riley.  Cupping his cheek, I leaned in to whisper, “Time to get up, Riley.” He shifted, his arm snaking out to wrap around my ankle; I blushed.  I saw Mrs. Calloway stirring, so I nudged him again.  “Riley, you need to wake up now.”

                His eyes flickered open, trailing up from the floor to my face, which was about a foot from his own.  I smiled hesitantly, unsure of how angry he would be with me.  After all, I had disappeared for hours [not that I’d known he was keeping tabs] and then knocked him unconscious.  “Hi, you.”

                For a moment, he didn’t say anything, just watched me with this inscrutable look on his face.  Then he rolled over to half tackle me in a hug.  I just let him.  It was much better than being yelled at.  Gingerly, I hugged him back, and felt him freeze. I quickly let him go and scrambled back.  He was gaping at me.