Chapter Twenty.

[[Black and White]]

Chapter Twenty.

[Houston, we have a problem.]

[[Apollo 13]]

[Ellie’s POV]

          The heavy bass seemed to rattle my chest as I edged around the crowded dance floor.  Hundreds of teens had shown for Hannah’s party—and more than a few graduates—filling the house and backyard to bursting.  There was a large white tent set up out back with temporary wood flooring covering the soft grass within.  A large DJ station dominated the left edge of the tent with speakers tall enough to brush the tent. People came and went from the kitchen, carrying a variety of drinks, mostly of the hard liquor variety.  I watched in amazement as a boy passed me with a full bottle of Jack Daniels. 

          I gave up on spotting Hannah within the writhing crowd, veering off into the soft grass toward some of the tables set up a decent distance from the tent.  I sank onto a chair, slipping off the heels Hannah had loaned me.  Her feet were significantly smaller than mine, and I could definitely feel it.  I slowly rubbed my feet, staring at the candle flickering in the center of the table.

          Suddenly, I spotted Riley weaving his way through the outskirts of the crowd, obviously looking for someone.  With a slight sinking feeling, I met his gaze and he made a beeline toward me.  Okay, so I panicked.  Dropping my shoes, I hiked up the bottom of my dress and sprinted for the edge of the house.  If I could make it to the front and enter through that way, there was a chance I could shake him within the massive house.

          I dodged drunken partiers, running headlong around the end of the house and skidding to a stop when I saw a nondescript door there.  Glancing quickly around to make sure he couldn’t see me, I tried the knob and it swung open to reveal a pitch black room. Okay, even for me, the girl who can literally make fire, that darkness looked a little ominous.  But then again, if I went the long way around, there was still a chance he’d catch me. 

          Call me reckless, but something about option one appealed to me.  I slipped inside, closing the door behind me.  After a moment, I saw a figure run past the distorted glass without even pausing.  My whole body relaxed.  One problem solved.  Groping along the edge of the door, I felt for a light switch while my eyes adjusted to the darkness.  It wasn’t until my own breathing slowed to normal that I heard it.  Breathing.  But it was strange, intermingled with a gurgling that chilled me to the bone.  As noticed that, I realized where it was coming from. My pulse pounded as I my eyes adjusted just a little bit more and I looked down.

          I screamed.

-----------[oOo]----------

          [James’ POV]

          Brooklyn had her arm wrapped around my neck, holding me tightly as she danced.  I won’t say she wasn’t sexy.  I’m not dead.  But there was something just sort of wrong about it.  I felt guilty.  Smiling at her, I leaned down to shout in her ear, “I’m going to get a drink. You want one?” 

          She shook her head, grinning wildly as she released me to dance on the girl behind her.  I didn’t waste any time, forcing my way out from the middle of the crowd and sucking down cool, clear air.  I started toward the house, intent on grabbing a soda to replace the beer I’d already drunk earlier.  I was in the kitchen digging through an ice filled cooler when I heard it.  A scream ripped right through the muted bass, echoing throughout the house. 

          Startled, I looked up from the ice to see everyone acting as if they couldn’t hear a girl screaming bloody murder.  Slowly, I shut the cooler, pushing to a stand and cocking my head.  Where was it coming from, and why the hell was I the only one who heard her?