Chapitre Vingt-Trois: La Beauté en Dessous

Erik backed away and looked into my eyes looking for a reaction. My eyes were wide and my cheeks instantly went the color of a rose. Erik sat across from me on the bench in front of the organ just staring at me with his golden eyes. How can one have such beautiful, extraordinary eyes? They were like none I have seen before, none in the world could compare to the beauty before me. Erik still wore his mask as did I. I knew he saw me without it but I still did not want to walk around with it freely off. I knew that if someone were to see me they would run away from me in fear, well either way they would since I am the new phantom of the opera. Erik still did not know about that though. I will tell him in a little while, I must cherish this moment between us, it may not ever come again, you never know what could happen.

I placed my hand on top of Erik's and he looked down at it in disbelief, then he smiled and took my small hand in his. He stands up and looks over to me giving me a small nod, "I think it is time."

"Time for-" I stop as he starts to sing. The song was one I have not heard Erik sing, it was not like his usual songs. This one was upbeat, but still had a dark feel to it. I loved it!

"Have you ever yearned to go
Past the world you think you know?
Been enthralled to the call
Of the beauty underneath?"

Erik pulls me up from where I sat and starts to walk around his lair with my hand in his. I could not believe any of this was happening, I never thought he would feel the same way I did. I thought I had lost him forever. I thought he still loved Christine and never would love me.

"Have you let it draw you in
Past the place where dreams begin?
Felt the full breathless pull
Of the beauty underneath?"

Erik's voice grows in power as he pulls me deeper and deeper into the lair, to rooms and places I have never seen before. There was a music room filled with various instruments and music piled up to the ceiling around the room.

"When the dark unfolds its wings
Do you sense the strangest things?
Things no one would ever guess
Things mere words cannot express?"

I look around the lair in awe. This part was in the back and I have never seen it before. This room had drawings and more music and instruments as well as a small kitchen but it too was covered in Erik's music. I say breathlessly, "Yes."

"Do you find yourself beguiled
By the dangerous and wild?
Do you feed on the need
For the beauty underneath?"

Erik continues to pull me along and stops in front of another room, he looked rather worried to walk in here but his voice was inked in longing, understanding and wanting.

"Have you felt your senses surge
And surrendered to the urge?
Have been hooked as you looked at the
At the beauty underneath?

When you stare behind the night
Can you glimpse its primal might?
Might you hunger to possess
Hunger that you can't repress?"

Erik's voice reached it's max, or what I thought was his max but I was wrong, he sang with even more power in the next verse. His voice echoing throughout the lair. I loved his voice and him. He was captivating, all of him was. His voice was soft and graceful but at the same time it was powerful and seductive.

I myself feel the need to sing and after letting out a breathless 'yes' in amazement, agreeing to everything Erik was saying I begin to sing. Urging Erik to go into the room where he stopped at the doorway. Erik looks down at me and opens the room. Looking around I start to sing.

"Yes"

"It seems so beautiful
So strange yet beautiful
Everything's just as you say"