Behind the Scenes - Part 1

Popular Highlights 

Recently I discovered a new section on the page for one of my books at Amazon. It's called "Popular Highlights" and is shown on the right sidebar of the book page next to "Shared Notes & Highlights" after "What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?" 

"Popular Highlights" identify the passages from a book that Kindle customers have highlighted as a favorite. The number of people who have highlighted the text appears at the end of the passage. 

I noticed that Part 1 had a few popular highlights which I found very interesting because when you write a book you never know what others will underline, or in this case, highlight as their favorite parts. This feature gave me an idea about that. 

They are as follows: 

"I'm tired of being afraid of Lucifer, my father who thinks torture is an acceptable form of motivation." 73 Highlights (Prologue, Part 1) - Said by Rayea, the Vampire from Hell

"Gazing down at me with shining gold eyes, my seven-foot hellhound touched my shoulder with his long paw." 66 Highlights (Chapter 1 - The Beginning, Part 1) - Said by Rayea, the Vampire from Hell

"I love your range of emotions, sis. From satanic screaming to laughing hyena. Very nice." 60 Highlights (Chapter 2 - Fan of Mankind, Part 1) - Said by Rayea, the Vampire from Hell

"Promise me if anything happens, you'll text me, okay? I may not be a demon, but I'm pretty scrappy for a hellhound. I'll take on your father any day of the week!" 59 Highlights (Chapter 1 - The Beginning, Part 1) - Said by Blick, Rayea's best friend

Story Insights 

Have you sometimes wondered where an author came up with an idea for some part in a story? I thought it would be fun to share a few insights about some themes and items in the Vampire from Hell series. 

I've always been told by other writers to write what you know. Many items I list in this section are really just that and it's because of that fact that I wrote them into my current series.

The Vampire from Hell (Part 1) - The Beginning 

Flame-Throwing Vampire 

When I wrote the first outlines for Part 1 in 2010, I didn't automatically think my vampire heroine would have the power of fire. Looking back, it makes sense that a vampire from Hell having fire power would be a natural progression of the story. 

However, I did not see that then. When I wrote the part of Rayea rebelling against her father, Satan after he turned her, I quickly realized her having a mishap involving flames would be perfect. It just fell in place. 

Granted at the end of Part 3 - A Vampire On Vacation, I have not disclosed how exactly Rayea acquired flame throwing powers. As J mentions, we have not seen her father show any. 

The source of Rayea's fire power will be revealed in upcoming installments.

IPhone 

I've had an IPhone since around 2007. I wanted to have a character who had an IPhone because I knew I could write about it, so I added it to this series when I finally figured out what I'd be writing about. 

Before having an IPhone, I used notebooks and scraps of papers to collect thoughts or random ideas. I really wanted to have something that was electronic and something I could record my ideas on so I didn't have to re-type them in at a later time. Besides my laptop, my IPhone has turned into an essential device. I write out ideas to myself, either in an email or notepad app, when I'm walking the dog, waiting in line, whenever I have a free moment really. That way I have the idea later. 

My IPhone is as important to me as it is to Rayea, my heroine and I did that for my own personal reason or maybe because I wanted her to have the same geek freak mentality I have acquired.

Telepathy 

I snagged the idea of telepathy for Blick in Part 1. When I wrote Part 1 as a short story in a class, my instructor told me that a hellhound would not be able to talk because of his canine jaw. I didn't necessary agree, but to satisfy her I did change it. Later after the class, I decided to figure out a way for Blick to actually speak. In Part 2 - A Vampire Among Angels, it was revealed he was an angel. Blick's past is complicated just as Rayea's love life is. We'll learn more about him as the story progresses.

I'll try to add more soon!