Chapter 6 - Handsome for a Hellhound

"Have you been up all night...again?" 

Blick found me on the terrace, gazing at the ocean. It was the break of dawn, and he was headed out for another day of training. I wanted to ask him if he was okay with my missing a lot of our martial arts practice sessions, but I forgot the question when I saw him. I feared my sleep deprivation was causing me to hallucinate, and then I remembered Blick's change. 

Since arriving at the House of G, Blick had transformed from his Lycan-Underworld-movie look to that of a tall, unassuming man with chiseled facial features and gleaming gold eyes. 

"I can't get used to your shift into human form. Your goatee is very nice. You are handsome for a hellhound, you know?" 

"Is that a sense of humor I detect today?" he replied, ignoring my observation. He was confident and determined standing there in his workout clothes which consisted of a bright white T-shirt clinging to his tanned lean frame, a pair of royal-blue gym shorts, and white sneakers. The wind from the sea pushed a few wisps of his jet black hair into his eyes and he brushed them aside. 

Hearing the love in his soft baritone voice was music to my ears. Since we didn't need to be secretive anymore, we had fallen out of the habit of talking to each other telepathically. 

"What about the nightmares?" he asked. 

Tears rose in my eyes. I gritted my teeth and fought to compose myself, so I didn't burst out crying like a little girl in front of him. "Ongoing," I muttered. "Anytime I try to sleep, I see Father and Stephanie turn into monstrous snakes and chase after me." Because I hadn't been able to sleep for weeks, my life consisted of three activities: wandering around Blick's home, surfing the internet on my computer, or hanging out on the terrace (usually at night). 

He nodded and placed his hand on my forehead, checking my body temperature. "You're burning up," he insisted. 

"I think that's just my natural temperature now." I smiled up at him weakly. The seven-foot hellhound I had raised from a pup in Hell was actually a seven-foot shapeshifting angel who was trying his best to take care of me. I called him 'Papa' especially when he was fussing over why my health was steadily declining. Blick wasn't the only one worried about me. I was too. 

"A friend is coming by later with some supplements. Will you answer the door this time, please?" he asked. 

"Sure." 

We stood on the terrace of his home in silence for a few moments, watching the waves. About eight two-story properties of high ranking angels including Blick's home lined a sandy white beach nestled in a cove. His home was in the center of the arch-shaped cove, and I could look out from the terrace on the second floor and see the ocean. Towards the east, the ocean stretched out to what seemed like infinity. It was more beautiful than I'd imagined oceans could be. Now in the morning sunlight, the water glistened and danced, merging into hues of light blue and green. Were the oceans on Earth this blue? One day, I thought to myself, one day I'll find out. 

I had been standing on the terrace for hours, long before the sun came up, listening and watching for sea dragons. Sometimes a few gathered in the cove closest to the edge where the rocks began. The jagged rocks rose high above the cove and leveled out into meadows. The bluffs went on for miles and miles as far as the ocean. For my protection, Blick refused to let me leave his home, so I had no idea where I was other than what I had seen. That had consisted of the ocean, the cove, the rocks, and the dragons. 

"Why don't you work on your blog today?" His question brought me back to reality. 

"I could do that," I agreed.