Chapter 21 - Change of Plan

The next morning I got up early and made Ashton breakfast. Toast, sliced strawberries, and oranges with a pot of coffee. Obviously, I'm not some badass chef in the kitchen, so trying to understand sit-down meals while on Earth took some getting used to. I'm a vampire. I can get my meals to go. Anyways, the smell of freshly brewed coffee calmed me. Tasting it wasn't as easy since it was extremely bitter to my taste buds unless I added a cup of sugar to it. That's why I typically stuck with green tea. 

I had devised a plan while snuggling near him and watching him sleep. With my being deprived of blood, the sleepless nights had returned. I'd have to go back to wandering the streets at night for searching for criminals and catching a few power naps during the day. It was a given that no one would be pleased with me, especially my friends, if I drank Ashton Taylor dry, so I had to make a choice, one I emphatically did not want to do. None of this will matter after I'm dead. 

When he sneaked up behind me and gently kissed my shoulder, I took a deep breath, exhaled, and turned to face him. Of course Ashton didn't really sneak up behind me but he had this idea that he had the light steps of a stealthy vampire, so I played along. 

"Good morning, sunshine. Is this for me?" 

I nodded. 

"You okay? Did you get any sleep?" 

"Not really," I stated. 

"Well don't forget, we have that thing tomorrow night, so let's get to bed early tonight if we can." He stopped moving. Peering into my eyes, he smiled. 

I knew what he was thinking. Lightly I laughed. Worlds beyond my comprehension had to exist behind those eyes of his. Walking away from him would be sheer torture. 

"I've gotta dash." He kissed his finger and then shared it with me by touching my lips, chewing his toast as crumbs fell on his shirt. Quickly he headed towards the door. 

"Ashton, wait a minute," I yelled after him. "We were going to have that talk." 

He dropped his jacket and keys on the tile floor. "Honey, I'm late!" He retrieved the items from the floor and whirled around. 

"Hi," I said as I materialized inches before his face. 

"How did you move like that? I saw you over there and now you're over here? How did you do that?" 

I took another deep breath and prepared myself. "It doesn't matter," I whispered. Gently grabbing his elbow, I lead him into the living room. "Let's talk now." 

Without hesitation he followed me, and I realized my telepathy power had grabbed him the second I had made the decision. "You deserve to know the truth about me, Ashton." I put his keys on the counter on top of his jacket, trying to find the courage to proceed with my plan. It had been easier than I realized it would be to capture his mind. 

He stood in the front of the glass coffee table in the living room, blinking his eyes a few times, smiling now and then. His arms hung like dead weights by his side. 

Shit, I can't do this to him. My heart melted. Instead I radically changed course and decided to take a different route. 

I rushed over to him, taking his hands in mine. "Love, I can't begin to explain to you what I see when I look at you. I'm sure others, no, I know others, many others, see it too. They see it when they look at you. You shouldn't run from your handsomeness. It's a great power. Do you know that?" I smiled at him. 

"Take him," the voice inside my head chimed in. 

Not stopping, I continued, "Of course your fans don't know you, but they want to know you. In many ways, I'm sure. Embrace it. This is a power, one you can use to your advantage. I can't hold you back any longer. You understand? I must let you go." I nodded at him to see if he would acknowledge my command, at the same time, hoping I didn't burst into tears.