Chapter 5 - A Fine Batch

"Stephanie," Father called. 

Again my sister yanked my arm. 

More pain surged through me. I screamed in agony. "No, no!" Then I heard the doors to the courtyard open and I saw Blick enter. 

His massive height and stature filled the room. Silver highlights like sparks off a firecracker twinkled amid his black fur. He seemed to be glowing a bright green. 

As he walked into the room, he transformed from the hellhound I knew and loved into a beast of a demon. His hellhound features where still in place with his long wolf nose, gleaming golden eyes, and his large upright muscular stature. But his fur was a mossy green, a hideous color similar to my father's green snake patterned skin. I was startled to see Blick's change, but I hoped against hope that it was all an act, a way to lull Father into a sense of authoritative security. 

A twinge from the nerves running up my neck from my injured shoulder reminded me of my situation. The pain affected my level of concentration. I struggled to stay conscious. I pulled a portion of my lower lip into my mouth and bit down hard. The blood washed over my tongue and I swallowed down the liquid. The new injury reinvigorated me. I blinked my eyes a few times to grasp what I was seeing. 

Father reached out and took Blick's newly formed hand, shaking it. "I'm so glad you're on the right side, son. Your demon look suits you well. I can understand you now. I'm so glad we had that chat earlier." Father laughed. "I never knew you were a brother of Anubis. Had I known you were one of us...well, we can discuss that later. For now, you will help us show her her place, yes? Stephanie, give him a glass and pour the wine." 

Blick smiled at Stephanie as she scoffed at him and handed him the filled glass. He drank the liquid. "A fine batch, your Highness." 

"Yes, I do think so myself. Let's pour her a drink as well. I'll add just a little something to it." 

I watched dumbfounded as Father bit into his hand. 

He raised his arm. Droplets of blood splashed into the glass, turning the liquid onyx black. I stared in amazement as a trail of smoke rose from the glass. 

"As I told you, wait for me to make a toast. Then give it to her. Her death will be quick and painless. I have to attend to my guests. Do you mind?" 

"Of course not, your Highness." Blick took the wine from Father. 

"Stephanie, Cedric, shall we?" With Stephanie on his left arm, Father opened the doors leading to the courtyard with much pomp and circumstance. Cedric followed, making sure to leave the French doors open so I could hear and see everything. I noticed a few guests glanced at me, recognized who I was, and quickly looked away. I wondered what they thought of me being tied to a chair. One daughter was certainly not escorted on her father's arm. She was left behind. That was me. 

When Blick moved near me, I pulled away from him. "You can't do this!" I wrestled against the wooden chair I was bound to, hoping to break free. 

Father's voice rang out as he began his speech. "My guests, I apologize for the delay. Thank you for coming. Today, I would like to present a new wine of mine to you. The color may seem startling, but the taste is quite delicious. If my plans come to fruition, I will create many blends from this one. I have selected all of you to be a part of this special project my youngest daughter, Stephanie, will lead. Let us toast to my favorite child." I heard cheering and applause in the tasting room. 

In response to my father's order, Blick pinched my nose shut and forced the liquid in my mouth. The mixture burned as it coursed down my throat. Blick whispered in my ear, "You'll be okay. I'm going to get you out of here." Then he vanished into thin air.