Hardcore Bonding

On a frosty March morning, Jake made his way to the basic training compound. The least hospitable part of the campus was always in use, but due to its purpose, there was little point in upgrading it. As he entered the compound, Jake spotted the rusty Nissen huts and the slippery climbing course. This would be where he would spend the next 100 days.

Jake made his way to hut 6. This was where the small card that had been included in the pack told him to go. The steel door required a frustrated push to burst open. Inside, the dimly lit hut was occupied by instructors Sharma and Capstick, as well as Hayley, Theo and another male recruit who Jake had never met before.

"Welcome Smith!" Capstick yelled at the top of his wacky Australian voice, as Jake stood next to the unknown recruit. Theo grinned as Capstick spoke, but a stern stare by Ryan wiped the smirk of his little brothers face.

It took a further 12 minutes for Scotty, Blake and two other female recruits to arrive. Luckily for all of them, no one was late and so the instructors were not as horrible as they could have been. All the recruits were taken outside and 15kg packs were given to all of them.

"Right everyone!" Capstick shouted. "A course is marked out on the bounds of this complex. Your simple task it to run around it 8 times with your bags on your backs. First one back gets a hot shower. The rest of you don't."

This dawned on everyone in the group of 8. It was around 2 degrees outside, and with just his t-shirts and standard issue trousers, Jake would freeze. A cold shower would almost certainly give him near hypothermia. After Ryan yelled "Go!", they were off.

Jake was an alright-runner. The unknown recruit sprinted off at the start, closely followed by Jake and the other girls. Behind them were Blake and Scotty, and behind them was Hayley and Theo. As Jake entered the unkept forest, he had moved away from the other girls, but Blake and Scotty were close behind. The unknown recruit was nowhere to be seen. 

In about twelve minutes, Jake reached hut 6, which mean't one out of 6 laps had been run. He knew he was almost out of breath, but had to keep running. Blake and Scotty looked like they would pass out any second as well, So Jake knew he was not alone in his discomfort.

Soon after the halfway point on the second lap, Jake, Blake and Scotty had caught up to the unknown recruit. He was stood off the track coughing with a pile of puke beneath him. It was obvious that he had pushed himself to far, something Jake was undoubtedly doing right now. This caused him to think about his pace-it was to fast. He slowed down considerably and let both Scotty and Blake speed off into the distance.

Three laps later, and Jake was about to enter the final lap. He had passed both Blake and Scotty, who tried desperately to stay ahead. But it was useless for them: their pace at the start was not sustainable. Jake was entering the concrete area of the compound, which was about 200 metres from the nearest hut when he saw Hayley struggling. If Jake overtook her now, she would be lapped. He slowed down, and reached her.

"Are you alright?" asked Jake, which in hindsight seemed like a pretty dumb question to ask.

"No, I'm not," stuttered Hayley. With tears in her eyes and her hands shivering, Hayley looked ill. "I just want to give up Jake."

Jake was torn. He had to keep running otherwise the others would catch up. He tore his sweaty shirt off, and pulled it over Hayley. It was a few sizes to big for her, which was ideal as it covered her like a thin blanket. Luckily, Jake had put a vest on that morning, which was rare and unlike him but he was glad for it. He rubbed Hayley's freezing hands before telling her everything was fine. "You'll make it back alright."

"Thank you, Jake." she managed to utter before giving him a light kiss on his cheek. Jake blushed the colour of the colour of the red shirts that the youngsters wore, before starting off to finish the race.

Just as he was about to round onto the finishing straight, a fatigued Theo came into view behind him. He was undoubtedly the most experienced as it was evident he had kept the best pace throughout the run. Theo managed a slight increase of speed, but Jake took a huge breath of air and willed himself to run faster. He crossed the line just before the youngest Sharma brother, who patted him on the back. 

"Your an outstanding runner, er.."

"Oh, the names Jake, Jake Smith."

"I'm Theo."

"I have heard a lot about you around campus. High expectations for you right?" Jake exclamed.

"Yeah, but I guess its the same for you."

Jake realised then that Theo was talking about his parents. "Yeah, I suppose. But their not here to give me a hard time."

Theo laughed. "Ryan's really nice to me, but that's only because I am the youngest of us. Leon is a right mug but Daniel isn't that much better. You got any siblings?"

"Nah, just me." Jake replied. As they finished their chat, Blake, followed by the two unknown girls, and then Scotty, crossed the line. They all collapsed together. 

Everyone waited for Hayley and the unknown boy to finish. Hayley only took another 7 minutes, but the unknown boy had managed to limp over the line nearly half an hour later. Instructor Capstick arrived at the scene. 

"Oh dear", he chuckled, as he saw us all sprawled on the ground. "I understand that Jakey one this race. 

I nodded profusely at the 6ft. Australian. He smiled. "Hot shower for you then squirt. As for the rest of you, I suggest you try and prepare for some cold n' wet conditions!"