Comtemplation

2 days before basic training began, Jake found himself walking around campus in one of his fresh new blue shirts. These were given to agents awaiting or participating in training activities, or to those who had not received a navy short yet. Jake had seen most of the people around campus wearing navy shirts. At this point in CHERUB's history, most of their agents were very competent and very rarely failed missions.

Jake found himself walking on one of the main streets of campus village. This complex network of small houses was completed in 2015, and was built to replace the main building. On this street, James could recognise James Adams' house. It wasn't the finest, but he would soon be getting an upgrade due to his promotion to Mission Control leader. This position would put him in charge of all of the missions that were submitted to CHERUB. Jake barely knew anything about the other mission controllers, but James Adams' stood out because he was known to be one of the best CHERUB agents and mission controllers ever to go through CHERUB.

James was also extremely good friends with one of CHERUBS new training instructors, Ryan Sharma. Like James, Ryan had been a stand out agent and earned his black shirt at the tender age of just 14. Ryan was due to be one of the instructors on Jake's basic training, so it was good to know you had someone who had been through the same process as you.

As the sun set Jake trudged up to his room. The largest buildings in the village were 3 story houses, that had 12 rooms each. These were for new agents who had either just been recruited or had come up from the pre-school section. These CHERUB's often had older siblings. For example, Theo, Ryan's youngest brother, was just 5 when Ryan joined. As he is eleven now, Theo will also be doing Jake's basic training with him. When they were doing basic training, they would all be sleeping in Nissen huts left over from WWII.

Jake locked the door, and took a quick shower, before slipping on his pyjamas and getting in to bed. His favourite book was the 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, and he had just started reading the 3rd book in the trilogy - The Last Star. He also went to check his phone, but there were no messages on it. Of course! CHERUB had wiped his phone, so he had no contact with the outside world. As much as Jake felt this was a great place, being isolated made Jake think of all those days sleeping in Jerry's apartment, alone, with no one to talk to.