Basic training

The next morning, Jake received the test results from yesterday. He was super-stoked that he had passed, and felt a sense of relief as the other recruits had passed as well. We were also told to meet at the cafeteria at 11 o'clock.

Jake arrived at the cafeteria at 8 minutes to 11. It was empty apart form a few off-duty white-shirts that were wolfing down some brunch. He sat down on one of the tables. Just moments after, the only girl who was in my recruiting session came over and sat opposite to him. 

"Hi," she said, "my name is Hayley. Whats yours?"

Not being one for conversation, Jake  just muttered "Jake."

"I am so excited about passing, are you? I also have two younger twins, Elsie and Maybel. They will be in the pre-school buildings. I am so glad they will be looked after. Since our parents died back in 2014, we haven't been able to live our lives pleasantly."

"I'm sorry to hear about your parents. Mine left me in 2011, to go and work for MI5. They died in a skiing accident two years later. I only found that out yesterday", Jake replied, as he realised talking to this girl maybe wasn't such a bad thing after all.

Hayley looked saddened by my story. " I am so sorry about your parents too, but in a way I now know there is so one in a similar situation to me."

Jake smiled at her. Hayley seemed nice enough, and Jake suddenly felt the same way as she did.

An awkward silence followed, but this was broken by Zara entering the cafe with the two other recruits. They both sat either side of Jake, but Zara pulled up a chair next to Hayley. 

"So, it looks like you and Hayley have spoken!", Zara said to Jake as she opened up her folder. Jake had no idea what to say, so just nodded and stared at his lap shyly. "I must run through with all of you your strengths and weaknesses highlighted by our training. I'll start with you, Jake."

Jake looked at Zara, unsure of what she was about to say. "You passed with 93%, which is one of the highest pass rates in recent times." Jake felt a small sense of pride but also a sense of competition with the others sat around the table. Zara continued, "You are a very physically able 11 year-old, but you would still need a good tidy up in this department. We understand you have some experience with combat, but this could be further refined." Jake nodded. "You are also quite intelligent, but with more effort, concentration and determination you could achieve some astounding grades."

Jake was happy with the praise, but was eager to find out how his results compared to the others.

"Blake and Scotty, you both score 82%." This was followed by a crisp handshake that the two friends made. Zara paused for them to finish their little joy-dance, and continued "You scored slightly higher than Jake on the physical aspects of the test however your academic and common sense is to be questioned." The two friends just shrugged their shoulders.

Zara looked around the table towards Hayley. "You scored 85% overall, and your physical and mental tests were certainly above average," Zara said, as Hayley shifted uncomfortably in her seat, "However, we need to work on your self confidence and belief. All in all, your results suggest you are all very capable and have enormous potential as CHERUB agents. Thus, your basic training begins in just 16 days."

Jake wasn't really fazed by this elusive date set by the chairman. He had no idea what basic training was so 16 days seemed like plenty of time to prepare. However, when he received his information pack from Zara, and had read through the entire contents pack in his room, Jake was not a happy bunny.

With his door open ajar, he could hear Blake and Scotty as they walked past. 

"100 days! That's ridiculous!"

"I know right! How will we be able to survive in this time?"

At least Jake knew he wasn't the only one who was dreading this seemingly impossible task.

***

Authors note:

Sorry for lack of updated to all my books as it is my GCSE year and so exams :(