Chapter 11

Detention that night was being held by Professor McGonagall, which was in a lot of ways a great relief to Hermione, who had to admit she was nervous about serving detention with 2 Slytherins who hated her guts. At least she hadn't gotten stuck with Filch, or worse, Snape. McGonagall would at least sympathize with her.

Hermione was, of course, the first one to arrive. When she stepped into the classroom, McGonagall looked up at her with a stern look. "Miss Granger," she said, "I cannot tell you how shocked I was to learn that you would be attending detention this evening. And for fighting no less." She shook her head in disappointment.

"I know," Hermione said, hanging her head in shame. "I know I should not have resorted to violence. I'll never let it happen again."

"Yes, well." McGonagall stood up and walked around to the front of her desk. She placed a hand on Hermione's shoulder. "I hope you at least made this detention worth it." She winked. "I heard from Madame Pomfrey that she had quite the time fixing Mr. Malfoy's nose."

Hermione grinned. She had never liked McGonagall as much as she had in that very moment.

Unfortunately, Hermione's good mood was instantly squashed about five seconds later, when Draco arrived, with Pansy trailing behind him, talking about her hair. Draco looked like he couldn't care any less. In fact, he almost appeared to be relieved to see Hermione standing there. Almost.

"Well," McGonagall said, interrupting Pansy, who shot her a dirty look. "It looks as though we are just waiting for one more person..."

"I'm here!" a voice said, as a tall dark-haired boy rushed into the room. Blaise Zabini.

"Zabini?" Draco said, looking surprised.

Blaise nodded. He looked at Professor McGonagall. "I'm terribly sorry I'm late, Professor. But something very urgent came up last minute." He looked over at Hermione and winked.

Hermione blushed. Draco scowled. Pansy sighed and twirled a strand of hair around her finger, looking terribly bored already.

"That is quite all right, Mr. Zabini," McGonagall said, waving her hand. "Well now that we are all here, I guess detention can begin. I was originally going to just have you all write lines about how you will not resort to violence ever again." She looked over her glasses at Blaise. "Or in your case, that you will not torture first years ever again." Blaise smiled as McGonagall continued: "But then I figured I should have you all do something that will have you working together." Pansy groaned. "Which is why you're going to help set up for a party."

Draco narrowed his eyes. "A party?"

"Yes," McGonagall replied. "Tomorrow is Professor Sprout's birthday, and the staff is planning a surprise birthday for her. Normally, we would just have the house elves set it up, but I think this would be the perfect opportunity to give them a night off, and you four a chance to work together."

McGonagall led them out of the classroom. "The party is being held in an abandoned classroom that hasn't been touched in Merlin knows how long. So you will have to pair up. Two of you will be in charge of cleaning, and the other two will be in charge of making the decorations."

"I call Granger as my partner!" Blaise said quickly. He grabbed Hermione by the back of her robes and pulled her toward him, causing her to stumble slightly. She glared at him, as did Draco.

McGonagall raised her eyebrows. "Very well." She stopped in front of a classroom door that none of the four kids recognized. "I have other matters to attend to, but I will be back in an hour or so. Until then, Mr. Malfoy, Miss Parkinson, you will be in charge of decorations. Miss Granger, Mr. Zabini, you will be in charge of cleaning." She turned to leave, but stopped. "Oh, and before I forget. Hand over your wands." She held out her hand. All four kids reluctantly handed over their wands. Without them, their work would be a lot more tedious. But then, that really was the whole point of detention.