The Horde

I peeked outside again, my heart sinking.

"Alright, so Rina and I will chop down the ones who get closest, you can pick off some of the ones farther back. We don't really have range." Kayin nodded in agreement, and I stayed stock still.

"No." I took a deep breath, closing my eyes and shaking my head. "No, there's been enough killing. I've seen two people die today and I don't care if you say they're as good as dead because I'm not watching you kill them too!" I screamed, volume rising with each word. I banged my hand against the table, finally letting the day catch up to me. "You dragged me into this fucking mess and you might be a mass murderer but I'm not!" I balled my hands into fists, looking away. I felt a hot, constricting fear about the fact I'd just yelled at three people who could honestly kill me in a minute.

"You know I didn't really think about it before. I got all swept up in everything but you've killed people, all three of you. Brie owns my soul for christ's sake!" I was shaking at this point, trying to ignore how concerned Rina looked. Brie was just looking down, impassive. "But I'm done, as of right now. No one else is going to die," my voice broke on the single word as the meaning hit me. "This is death. Actual, honest to god death and people's lives. Two best friends died because Brie got a little pissed off!" I was back to screaming again, and something outside began thumping up the porch.

"Cammie, listen, I know you're having a hard time with this but we need to do this another time," Rina said gently, and I glared her down.

"Did you even hear me?" I demanded. "He's a shaman or whatever, make him call them off!" Kayin shook his head.

"That's not how it works-"

"Then find a way!" I grabbed Rina's arm, noticing the way her fingers had been extending, readying for the weapon to form.

"Please let go. I don't want to hurt you," she said quietly, and I grabbed on harder. I was in hysterics by this point, whatever suspension of disbelief I'd had gone. I shook my head tersely.

"Find another way," I ordered, although it sounded more like a plea. Rina looked over my shoulder at someone, and nodded sadly. I backed up a little, my frenzy fuelled by the pounding on the walls. Barely a step away and I bumped into someone. I started, but before I could turn around they were gripping my shoulder.

"Cammie, I am truly sorry about this," Kayin said quietly, and there was a stabbing pain from where his hand was. I yelped, but no sound came out, and soon the pain faded, dispersing into a light tingle all over my body. I felt a little light-headed, and when he walked away it didn't even occur to me to still be mad. I watched dazedly as the three of them made for the door, vision tinged around the edges with a yellow-green mist. It was surreal, really, watching from and open doorway as what was in essence a slaughter happened just a few feet away. Everything was a glinting mess of gold and green, bodies falling and twirling. I almost lost track of who was who, since just sitting down and laying my head on the table seemed like a much better option.

I stumbled and managed to find a seat, all noise from outside pleasantly muffled, like I was listening from underwater, or through some thick fabric. I found myself zoning out every few seconds, eyes struggling to stay focused. I was cold, very suddenly, the green haze turning white for a second. I shivered, but the call for sleep was too strong for the cold to change. There was a brief moment when I struggled to stand up, something about cold and white ringing sharp and wrong. There was something, maybe only out of the corner of my eye but there, pale and quick. Every time I moved my head my vision glitched and the floor seemed closer than before. I laid my head on my crossed arms, sighing out and closing my eyes. Just a few minutes, they were fighting anyways and they'd wake me up when I was needed. I just needed a few minutes and I'd be okay. Just, just for a few minutes...

I couldn't see. It was the first, very apparent thing. I could hear the footsteps outside, the small grunts of effort and the soft whistling of Kayin's smoke. I could feel the sticky wood under my arms, I could feel the solid chair under me. I could smell the herbs stained into the table just fine, and I knew what I should be seeing, but everything stayed black. And, I realized a second later, I couldn't move. I tried to fight back the rising panic to little effect. I was alive and breathing, but I couldn't do anything. I couldn't move.

Something cold trailed across my back, and I shivered. I was thankful for the momentary movement, but it was more instinct than anything. I still couldn't move. Slowly, I came to the only possible conclusion. I was asleep, or my body was, and my mind was awake. I could know what was happening around me, but I couldn't do anything. If I could have, I would have swallowed. But as it was, I was unable to do anything as a freezing hand landed on my shoulder.

"Cammie, darling," a voice purred, and I recognised it instantly. Lynn, which meant her brother wasn't far away. I didn't even need to worry about controlling whatever emotions I was feeling, since I couldn't move to show them anyways. "Did you miss me?"

No, I wanted to scream. I did not miss your psychotic presence in my life. But the cold from her hand was seeping into my skin and deeper into my blood, and I started to shiver.

"Because I missed you," she was quiet, wistful almost. "I can't see you with all your friends around, you know." It honestly sounded like she was pouting, a child who didn't get to play with her favourite toy. After the outburst- or whatever else I was supposed to call it, psychotic episode- I didn't doubt for a second that that was what she considered me.

"So how about we play a bit of a game?" It wasn't her this time, it was Vincent. I would glare if I could but again, the sleep paralysis was preventing that. There were a few footsteps and a few shuffles as I assumed he came closer. I was just willing myself to wake up.

"The game is called 'how long can Cammie last in a coma?" My heart sunk, and then sped up. Or should have. Maybe it was just panic, purely mental that my body should have been reacting to but didn't.

"Just so you know, the record so far has been a week," Lynn piped up, and I struggled against my unresponsive body. There were a million questions swirling through my head, mostly fixed on one thing. Why? What were they going to gain from trapping me in my own body? Had they given up on me joining their side? Apparently.

"Oh, it should be noted," Vincent said, but he was far enough away I could tell they were on the way out. His sister finished for him.

"You aren't just going to be in a coma. Not only will you be awake the whole time, you'll be hallucinating."

I didn't understand what she meant until I swore I could feel something cold and heavy wrapping itself around my ankle.