When You Call A Stranger

I couldn't quite make myself let go of it, but at the same time I knew that walking around holding a knife was a bad idea. Especially in this part of town, and especially considering who my current company was. I half expected Aryan to burst angrily into the room, but so far the lock was holding. I still felt utterly idiotic, having been fooled so easily. Suddenly, I was struck with realization. I pushed off the door, circling around the room before zeroing in on the pile of cloths I'd left behind. Heart pounding in my ears, I reached into the pocket, breathing out a sigh of relief when the small piece of paper was still there. I pulled it out quickly and looked at it, running my thumb over the numbers. Kayin.

I walked quickly to the door, pressing my ear against it. The bass reverberated through my chest, but over it I could hear voices.

"Well then, you need to find her don't you?" I heard Aryan hiss, and I flinched. He was right outside the door, but he didn't know it. I tried to control my breathing and the rushing in my ears.

"You need me to spell it out for you? She's either gone back to the reaper's or she's wandering the streets. Go." I backed up when I heard heavy footsteps, loud and large enough to echo even over the music. All I knew was that I did not want to be on the bad side of whoever that was. I stood stock still, breathing in and out. I had no way of knowing if he was gone, but after standing there for what must have been at least ten minutes I finally took the risk of opening the door. I peeked outside, and even though I couldn't see anyone I still didn't pretend I was safe. Before I'd even really decided to move, I found myself going out the door. I was out into the alley before the first door had closed behind me, holding tight to the paper and bolting down the street. It was dark, the humidity weighing me down. But I knew I couldn't care.

Brie's house wasn't an option. I felt a split second of guilt, because if they were looking for me and went after Brie it would be my fault. I shook my head, running away from the way we'd come and pushing the thoughts out of my mind. I ran until I couldn't run anymore, the breath straining to get in and out of my lungs. I finally stumbled to a stop, leaning against a building to catch my breath. Somehow I felt like I couldn't stop, even if I didn't have a destination. I needed to keep going, keep moving, but with every step that was getting harder and harder. I finally did stop, bending over and looking behind me. It took a second to focus, but when I saw the coast was clear I at least allowed myself to walk. A few steps ahead, I could see the glass and metal rectangle that would hold a payphone. I sighed in relief, since I knew the chances of actually finding one were pretty low. I made my way over to it, fishing through my pockets for some spare change. It was a small miracle that I found any, and didn't even bother questioning where it had come from when I slipped them into the coin slot and carefully punched in the number I'd been given. It rang a few times, and I realized with a start it was the middle of the night. I swore to myself, because he was probably asleep and probably wouldn't answer. I managed to convince myself that he wasn't picking up, and that I just might as well hang up.

"Yes?" I breathed out, smiling despite myself. He sounded tired and confused as hell, but at the same time I'd never been happier to have someone pick up the phone.

"Kayin? It's Cammie." I said shakily, and there was a faint thud on the other end. I almost didn't want to know what had happened.

"Where are you?" he asked, and I swallowed. Saying "good question" probably wasn't going to be very helpful, but it was true.

"I-I'm not sure. I had to run." I admitted, biting my lip. He seemed like he understood.

"Let me guess, in the opposite direction of Brie's?" I nodded, and then felt immensely stupid because of course he couldn't see me.

"I at least tried to," I said, feeling extremely guilty for not making myself easier to find. I was starting to calm down at this point, but the absence of heavy breathing didn't do much to help my nerves. Now the silence just unnerved me, and reminded me what there was out there to be scared of.

"Are you safe where you are now?" he asked, and I glanced around again.

"I think so. I mean, I don't see anyone and I think I ran pretty far." I leaned against the glass, checking over my shoulder even though it was so close to the wall no one could get there without me seeing them.

"Good, then I need you to stay there. Just keep talking to me, alright? What does it look like around you?" I swallowed hard, trying to focus.

"It's the corner of a block, I think there might be a bus stop down the street. Um, the buildings look residential for the most part, there's a store but all the lights are out and I can't read the signs." I rattled off everything I could see, every insignificant detail. He cut in occasionally, asking for clarification or just telling me to keep going. It felt good, knowing I was actually talking to someone. Even if the conversation was one-sided, he was still there.

"I'm driving the car you rode in earlier. I need you to let me know if you see me, okay?" I agreed, flinching momentarily at the bright shine of headlights before brightening up.

"I think I see you." I said, and when the car stopped I knew it was him. I dropped the phone and flew across the street, weariness forgotten. I skidded to a halt when he got out of the driver's seat, and I was suddenly overcome with guilt.

He'd definitely just rolled out of bed, his shirt skewed to the side and hair sticking up on one side. He looked a little dazed, but as soon as he saw me I barely got the chance to say anything before he pulled me into a tight hug. After a second of hesitation I hugged back, breathing deeply and smiling at the fact he smelt like herbs.

"You okay?" he asked quietly, and I didn't have an answer for him. That seemed okay though, because when he pulled away a few seconds later he didn't press. "Brie's probably isn't the greatest spot right now," he explained as I climbed into the passenger seat. I nodded, happy he wasn't asking for an explanation yet. He drove in silence, and I knew that if I ever wanted to talk I'd be able to. It was a nice silence, and I almost wanted to cry I was so happy he was here. I couldn't help but realize the only time I hadn't fallen for the lies Aryan was telling me was when it came to Kayin. I settled into the seat, and despite the time I knew I wasn't tired enough to sleep. Too much had just happened, and I wasn't looking forward to the nightmares that would undoubtedly be showing up as soon as I closed my eyes.

When we slowed down, I expected to be at Kayin's house. I hadn't exactly been paying attention, but it did register that we hadn't driven for long enough. Outside were a few buildings, the one we were stopped outside of short and lit from inside.

"Hungry?" he asked, getting out of the car and obviously not expected an answer. I followed, realizing it was an all-hours diner. It didn't seem like the most obvious place to be, which was probably the point. He held the door open for me, so I was the first to see the rows of booths. It was a cheap diner, nothing much special about it. A woman was standing behind the bar, glaring at us as we walked in. I shrugged it off, because Kayin just sent one look at her before sighing and leading me to one of the booths.

"We interrupted a text conversation," he explained, and I had to stifle a laugh. I'd expected an angry spirit, but a pissed off girl I was pretty confident I could deal with. He ordered us some caffeine while I glanced at the menu, figuring I might as well eat something. When I lowered the menu he was staring at me, and I knew what was coming.

"I'm not going to make you explain." He started. "But I know nothing apart from you went to Alpha." I nodded, settling backwards and preparing to explain myself.