Chapter Nine: In we go...

Wink came to in the warehouse. It was comforted to be back in its new home, and relieved to hear three familiar voices not far off, and, thankfully, none if them sounded in pain.

~*~

"Mrrrh." Wink said as a general warning of it's wakedness ((Wow, it's been so long since I have made a word up...)) and a shout of surprise drifted back to Wink's peculiarly pointed elf ears.

~*~

"Yay! The hero is awake!!" Anastasia cheered.

"S'not like I actually did much.." Wink said grinning blearily.

"Oh, stop being humble, its scary.' Wolfie clucked as she ambled over. Wink laughed as she scanned over everyone else in the room. It's gaze fell on Skylar's arm, which was wrapped up in a sling. Skylar saw Wink looking and grimaced.

"Yeah, I know. It was when BlackBack clawed me."

Wink beckoned Skylar over. Peering over the crisp sling (in actual fact it was a shred of bedsheet the girls and Wolfie had found in a box in the warehous, and they had used Wink's own teeth to cut it (while wink was unconscious of course), but they never told Wink), it winced.

"Owch." Wink said."I'll try to fix that up.

"I don't know, I think its broken." Skylar said.

"Yeah. I'll see if I can make a hand-brace-thing."

Skylar was about to question Wink's ability in making hand-brace-things when she was interrupted by Wink itself.

      "How come you guys aren't at school!!!" It yelped as it realised how bright it was outside. Wolfie grinned.

"I think I would attract a lot of unwanted attention."

Wink waved it's arms. "I wasn't expecting you to go. But, you two.." It gestured vaguely at Skylar and Christina.

"We weren't just going to leave you injured. Our families can cope without us for a morning." Christina quipped.

"Just like yours can." Interjected Skylar

"But your parents aren't used to you leaving! Mine are! I have been strutting around the universe since I was seven!" Wink flapped.

"Well, they seem to pretty into your adventures now. I think it's high time their parents get used to the absence of their children." Wolfie said, cocking her head. Wink hesitated, then sighed. Denying it was useless: Skylar and Christina were comrades now.

      "Ok. I guess we can get on with our investigation." Wink said, attempting to look cheerful.

"Oh, um, don't you want to get better? Before rushing into action?" Wolfie asked, raising a furry eyebrow.

"I'll be fine." Wink muttered. "I'm more worried about Skylar's hand. Humans heal slower than me."

"Well, if you want to fix it up, we could go to your lab. It wouldn't take that long, would it?" Wolfie suggested.

Wink pondered on the thought. "Yes, we'll go there. But first of all, tell me where the Witch is."

The girls and Wolfie looked shiftily at each other, before cautiously raising a hand and pointing upwards. "Upstairs."

Wink jolted forwards and scrambled to it's feet and tried to jump, declaring; "She's only upstairs!! We can go to her NOOooww." Prior to its previous injuries, Wink found that it couldn't jump and toppled over onto its side.

"What did I tell you." Wolfie barked. "You can't go plonking round like this!! Anyway," She lowered her voice. "You wouldn't be able to get to her."