One Step Closer {Damon Salvatore} Chapter Nine: Cook-day

Chapter Nine

Helena by My Chemical Romance

Burning on just like a match you strike to incinerate

The lives of everyone you know

And what's the worst you take (worst you take)

from every heart you break (heart you break)

And like the blade you stain (blade you stain)

Well I've been holding on tonight

~~~

Kiara sat on her bed and tried to imagine what had went wrong. She had hidden on the stairs and had watched Damon kiss Jordyn…but then Jordyn slapped him! It was very, very confusing.

~~~

"Cook-day!" Kiara sang. She bounced happily around the kitchen as she made one of those cappuccino things Jordyn loved so much.

"Cook-day?" Jordyn asked with an eyebrow raised as she walked into the small space they called a kitchen.

"The day Tyler takes me out on the lake in his canoe! Remember? Today is Cook-day!" Kiara said. "There's Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Runs-day, Thirds-day, Cook-day, and Saturday!"

"You mean Friday." Jordyn corrected, mentally wondering what they called each day in the Dark Dimension.

Kiara's eyes went wide. "You mean there's another day to remember?"

Jordyn rolled her eyes, a small smile on her face and answered "No, never mind," while silently laughing.

~~~

Tyler skipped his last class to stop at the auto repair shop to replace the back tire on the driver side of his car. He pulled back up to the school in front of the steps just as the bell rang.

Almost immediately, a happy Kiara bounded down the steps in a hot pink miniskirt and a white tee.

Tyler leaned over and opened the door for her. "Ready?"

"I was born ready." She remarked. Kiara beamed at him. "Jordyn taught me that saying."

~~~

It was calm on the lake. There was only the sound of the soft breeze and the water gently lapping against the canoe.

"So, how does one become a werewolf?" Kiara asked curiously, a pair of shorts on now instead of the skirt.

"It's…genetic, actually." Tyler replied, more than a little uncomfortable about the subject.

Kiara nodded. The same was true for kitsune. "Have you changed ever since you were little?" She was curious. The Dark Dimension was composed of carious races of demons and a variety of vampires…and, of course, was Kiara was. A slave.

Tyler didn't reply for a long time, his grip tightening so tightly around the oar that it snapped. "Damn it." He grumbled. Looking out at the wilderness that surrounded them, he replied quietly. "No…that doesn't start unless a…catalyst occurs."

"Catalyst?"

Tyler gritted his teeth angrily and looked away. "The werewolf gene doesn't cause any change unless you kill someone."

"Kill someone." Kiara repeated slowly, her dark forest green eyes showing the sadness she felt for Tyler.

"An accident." was all Tyler said.

Kiara placed her small hand on Tyler's, surprising him. A sad smile was on her face. "It's okay Tyler…Accidents like that…they happen…Trust me." Her dark eyes seemed haunted.