Confessions: Part 2

Lucy wouldn't speak for the rest of the week, she went into a state of depression, a side effect of the strong pain pills she took daily. Lockwood was more worried about her than he'd ever been. George felt bad, he thought it was his fault because she had gone silent after he had made the big deal about Lockwood possibly liking her.

This day was Friday, and George and Lockwood were preparing for a new case, a young Miss just moved to England from America, she was convinced there was a Visitor in her apartment building. A simple Shade, or nothing at all, either way, Lockwood and George were going to investigate after dark. The silly American was paying a lot of money for something that sounded like it could have been nothing.

Lucy had to stay behind, her leg was just starting to show improvement in healing and Lockwood had ordered her to stay in bed and rest, but Lucy didn't listen, she was bored and restless, as soon as the boys were out the door she was out of bed. She made her way down the stairs into the kitchen, she planned to stay downstairs until Lockwood and George got back.

She grabbed a cookie and sat at the table, then spotted the skull in the jar, it was glowing green and looked as though it wanted to talk. She grabbed it from the counter and flipped the switched to hear him.

"Hello, Mr. Skull." Lucy said setting the jar on the table.

"Mr. Skull?" His face formed a look of utmost confusion. "What's with the formalities Ms. Carlyle?"

"I'm just hoping to have a nice conversation with you, you know, one that doesn't end in a fight."

"You're lonely aren't you?"

"Ha. You're the ghost, yet you see right through me."

"Hilarious. . ." Sarcasm dripped from his word. Lucy huffed.

"Fine, be that way." She reached for the lever atop the jar but paused as the skull began to speak.

"Wait. Fine, we can have a real conversation. About you and Lockwood." The skull grinned widely.

"I'd really rather not."

"Oh come now, Lucy. You can tell me, after all, I've been dead and bored for so many years, I'd so love to keep a juicy secret again. Like I kept my master's secrets. Oh please, Lucy."

"I never thought I'd hear you beg." Lucy beamed. "Unfortunately I don't know."

"You don't know what?"

"Whether I like Lockwood in a romantic way or not."

"Well, he is quite handsome right?"

"Very handsome." Lucy's blushed thinking of just how handsome Mr. Lockwood was, always dressed so crisply, always so calm and collected with that reassuring smile of his that always won. The way he ran his fingers through his perfect hair, sometimes Lucy wished she was the one running her fingers through his hair.

"And he does have so many appealing qualities, doesn't he? Such a great personality?"

"Yeah."

"And I'm pretty sure he likes you. So don't you like him back?"

"I guess I do. Yeah, I really do like him." Lucy smiled. Finally, she had made up her mind, she romantically liked Lockwood, but was that a good thing? How would it affect Lockwood & Co. as a team? This could be problematic. Maybe she'd have to crush on Lockwood from afar.