A Date, A Stake Out, and A Kiss: Part 2 (End)

"So what was the deal with Lockwood's strange little outburst the other day?" Sam asked sipping his tea.

"I have no idea, but he's been so mad at me for agreeing to come with you, he's been acting so strange, he wouldn't speak to anyone for like two whole weeks and then he just blew up. But let's not talk about him."

"Alright." The conversation started slow, with them not finding much in common, but soon enough they got into a great discussion on how ridiculous most of the big agency agents were.

"They come in and they're so absolutely rude, they strut up to me like they're the kings and queens of London and command me to burn their Sources immediately without even pausing to say a simple 'hi', that's why I love Lockwood & Co. you guys don't act like you're such hot stuff. Though you are looking pretty hot if you ask me." Lucy sat there for a second unsure of how to react to that last sentence, she could feel her face go a little red.

While Lucy fumbled for words Lockwood watched from a table across the room, he had convinced George to come with him and had found them both some wigs from their disguise chest to wear to try to keep Lucy from recognizing them.

"This is really dumb Lockwood, she's going to notice us sooner or later, then she's never going to talk to you again. My head's getting itchy, can I please take off this bloody wig."

"Shut it, I'm trying to figure out why Lucy's face is so pink." Over by Lucy's table, Sam was still saying flirty things that left Lucy speechless and uncomfortable that was until her eyes landed on Lockwood's, he quickly looked away but not before Lucy recognized him.

"I can't believe the nerve of him!" Lucy complained as Sam looked around confused. "Lockwood is stalking us, come on. Let's go somewhere else." They both got up and walked out, Lucy scowled at Lockwood as he watched them through the window.

"Smooth Lockwood, at first you were in the dog house but now, now you're completely screwed." George commented as he took off his wig.

"Well, where to m'lady." Sam asked once they had walked a good block or two away from the cafe, now that she was outside Lucy realized how late it was getting, they had spent hours in the cafe talking, it had seemed like only a few minutes though.

"How about you walk me home, it's getting late." She suggested. Sam nodded and they started off towards Portland Row, as they walked Lockwood called a taxi to take him and George home.

When they got home they both sat in the kitchen awaiting the inevitable explosion that would burst through the door along with Lucy. Lockwood hated how he was acting, he didn't realize until now how stupid he was being, Lucy wouldn't have even gone out with Sam if it hadn't been for him getting jealous. Now he sat in his chair anxious and terrified to see how Lucy's date went.

Date.

The word struck him in the chest. "She hates me, she's going to quit the team and go to a bigger agency and never talk to me again." Lockwood said sorrowfully.

"You already know she does not hate you. Quite the opposite really." For once the skull was genuinely trying to help Lockwood feel better.

"I'm starting to think what you told me was a lie because Lucy has been ignoring me and going out on dates!"

"Lucy hates Sam, he makes her uncomfortable. She only went out with him to get back at you for the way you've been acting. You need to show her how you feel, no more mixed messages. Just tell her!"

"I agree with the skull," George said. "As someone who has been watching you and Lucy for the past month or so, I can say with confidence that you need to tell her how you feel."

"I'll do more than tell but I'll need your help."

As Lockwood explained his plan, Lucy walked with Sam. It was true she did hate Sam and was only faking interest in him, but she made sure to be polite about it, Sam was a sweet and gentle guy, she didn't want to hurt him. They walked and talked and Lucy was getting cold and tired, it was getting harder for her to fake interest and soon she asked Sam if they could just walk in quiet, she used the excuse of having a headache. It was almost sunset by the time they reached Portland Row and it was getting dark, Lucy didn't see any lights in the house, she hoped Lockwood and George were in bed. She and Sam said goodbye and she slowly walked to the door and opened it to an unexpected sight.

It was dark in the house, the only light glowed from a small lavender candle that sat right in front of her, and behind it was another, and another, a trail of candles led to the stairs to the offices, Lucy hesitated.

"George? Lockwood? What the bloody hell is going on?"Lucy called down the stairs, but there was no answer. So she took off her heeled shoes and slowly crept down the stairs, every three steps had a lit candle, Lucy got to the bottom of the stairs and her chest swelled with nervousness as she realized that the candles led to Lockwood's office space. She hesitantly walked in to find Lockwood, well not Lockwood, Lockwood's lips.

It took her a moment to comprehend what was happening but when she did she closed her eyes and let herself sink into Lockwood as she kissed him back. They didn't stop kissing for some time when they pulled away Lucy found herself speechless, but that was okay for Lockwood because he had so much to say.

"I'm sorry for how I've been acting, I pushed you away when all I've ever wanted is to have you close to me. I'm sorry I didn't tell you how I feel sooner, I was just scared that the 'Amazing Lucy Carlyle'," he softly brushed the hair away from Lucy's face. "Would turn me down. I love you, Lucy...I have since the first day I met you." Lucy choked on tears.

"These past few weeks have been so difficult...I was so confused, but now I realize...I've always loved you too..." Lockwood wiped away her tears and kissed her sweetly. When he finally pulled away he put his arms around her and held her close. "Never let me go..." She whispered.

"I promise I won't..."