♱Chapter 22♱

Raven's P•O•V

I sat in the window sill of the old library, the aroma of musty, old books filling my lungs as I stared out the window unto the courtyard. Two little boys chased each other around the courtyard as their parents sat and watched their children joyfully.

It had been two days since and I still hadn't seen or heard from Alec. No word from him whatsoever. I could tell he was avoiding me. And to be honest, I was avoiding him as well. Although I didn't have to try too hard since he was no where to be found. I'm sure he was off not even thinking about what had happened.

I shook my head. I slid out from the window sill and made my way out of the beautiful library, only to be stopped by Irina. She smiled at me warmly, and I tried to return it even though I wasn't feeling as cheerful as she always seemed to be.

"Please walk with me dear." Irina beckoned me, neither a question nor a command. I furrowed my brow in confusion but I did as she asked and followed her out of the library. She was leading me somewhere, and I let her do so.

We walked down the staircase in which I had gone down when I was first introduced to the kingdom. I could only remember the brief second that I was held in Alec's safe and strong arms. I swallowed hard and shook the memory from my mind.

Irina stepped down the stairs slowly, allowing me to step beside her and not have to hasten to catch up.

"Is there something you wanted to talk to me about?" I asked, concerned about why she seemed so urgent to talk to me. We reached the end of the staircase and she continued to gracefully walk with me in her long, dark purple gown that swept against the floor as she walked. The sound of her heels clicking against the hard marble floor. I felt so obsolete while walking beside her in my off-the-shoulder sweater and black flats.

"Yes. I wanted to talk to you about Alec." She answered me in a straight forward manner. I looked at her but could tell that her expression was calm. I looked away but held a confused expression as I walked with her. I cleared my throat, hoping she wasn't wanting to talk to me about what happened a couple days ago.

"What is there to talk about?" I asked somewhat bluntly. The words came out a little more harsh than I had intended.

"Frankly, a lot." Irina answered, glancing at me with a devious look out of the corner of her eye. I could just tell by that look that she knew.

I dropped my eyes and looked away from her.

"Who told you?" I asked shamefully. I looked at her briefly so she wouldn't notice, but she still held a calm expression and focused her gaze on where she was walking.

"No one had to tell me. The way you two look at each other when the other isn't looking makes it obvious." She chuckled. I raised my eyebrows at the thought of others noticing what was going on between Alec and I. That is - if anything was going on between us.

"Well I don't think there's anything there anymore, to tell you the truth." I told her, gazing down at the floor briefly. She gripped my arm and stopped me. I turned to look at her and could tell her face was serious.

"Raven..." She sighed and looked at me compassionately. "My son chose you. He wants you and only you. And although he may be running from his feelings for you, one day he's going to have to face them and accept them. It's just hard to understand love and joy when his whole life has been stuck in this castle with only the horses and these never ending halls." She paused and let me take that in.

The thought of Alec accepting his feelings seemed like an impossibility by now. But Irina gave me a different perspective on why he couldn't understand those feelings.

"He was born to be the next king." Irina continued. "He's been highly protected all his life, and I regret keeping him locked in this castle for so long, but there was no other choice except to keep him here."

"I know my son, and trust me when I tell you that Alec does love you. Just let him come to you and he will. One of these days he'll be bound to come around." Irina smiled warmly. It was reassuring. I smiled back at her, this time not having to force it.

"You sure do know the right thing to say." I told her honestly. The way Irina spoke to me and gave me advice made me think about how my mother never spoke to me like that.

"I just try to help when I think something's wrong." She smiled and continued walking. I wanted to thank her but was interrupted by two men coming up to us.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Your Highness, but the King needs you." The one tall and intimidating man told Irina.

"Oh yes!" Irina said in surprised, like she had forgotten about it. She turned to me and smiled.

"I have to talk with Dimitri, but just remember Raven," She took my hand in hers and looked at me seriously.

"My son does deeply care for you. Just give him time." She advised and I nodded with a soft smile.

"Thank you." I said gratefully. She smiled back with a dazzling smile, her pointed canines subtle.

"Of course Dear." She said and let go of my hand. I watched her walk down the hall with the men and started talking to them.

I turned and started walking down the hall, letting myself wander like I normally did in this ginormous castle.

I wondered what it would be like to be so powerful and respected like Irina was. The thought had never crossed my mind that one day I would be in her shoes, wearing her crown about my head, and calling myself the Queen...

But that was solely up to Alec. And by the looks of things,

I wasn't going far with that stubborn Vampire.

––––––––––•A/N•––––––––––

Kind of a short chapter, sorry! But I want to announce that I'm going to be trying to write every weekend so there will be a new update every week!! Hope you guys like that 😉

What do you think Raven should do about Alec?? ---->

Vote

&

Share ❤❤❤