• 8 •

The girls walked inside Topanga's; seeing familiar and unfamiliar faces. As they waited for Josh to arrive, Maxine decided that she wanted a slice of a lemon meringue pie. "Alright, Max," Lila sighed, not arguing with her friend's needs. "You get that pie while I wait for Mister Cassanova." She stated with a chuckle.

Maxine gave her blonde friend an innocent grin, ordering the slice of the pie through Katie, Maya's and Y/n's Mom. 

Not even minutes after Max ordered her food, Josh walked into the bakery with his hands shoved into his pockets and his usual black shirt with a flannel over top. Lila stood from her seat, holding her hands like so as she watched the male make his way to her brunette friend. 

"Joshua." Maxine greeted, turning around to face him with her elbow rested upon the store's countertop. Josh gave her a slight chuckle, shaking his head at her attempt to come off as cold. The girl rolled her eyes in response. "Let's just make this quick. I don't want to be here for long."

"Neither do I,"

The two of them walked over to where Lila was standing. She was on the slightly raised platform with bookshelves on the back wall, copper plush seats in front of said shelves, and a dark, almost greyish table in between those chairs. Maxine stood next to Lila, looking at her with a kind smile. 

Lila brushed off her blue and black plaided pencil skirt, sitting on the chair before Maxine dusted off the back of her black skinny jeans, sitting on Lila's thigh. 

As Katie came over with Maxine's pie, Josh studied the two girls with a furrowed brows upon his face. Lila felt his stare and looked at him, raising a brow in annoyance. He rose his hands in defense and laid back in his chair. 

"Here you go," Katie said placing the pie on the table with a kind smile and nod. Maxine returned the gesture with a thank you and a couple of dollars as a tip.  "Thank you, Ms.Hart." Before starting the conversation which led her into coming to Topanga's in the first place, she delicately grabbed her fork and took a piece, giving some to Lila. 

Josh cleared his throat, looking at the two tiredly. "I thought we were here to talk. Not to flirt and make googly eyes at each other." Maxine turned to Josh with her face scrunched up. "Flirting? We're not flirting... I barely talked to you." 

"Not what I meant..." He said, looking toward Lila who's cheeks were now a light tint of pink, wiping a bit of pie off the corner of her lips. 

Maxine continued to look at them weirdly, her eyes narrowed in thought and the space between her eyebrows wrinkled ever so slightly. "Anyways, you need to win Y/n back." She said with a shrug of her shoulders, grabbing the plate. 

"Ya think? That's why I'm here, Maxine. You guys know her well... how can I win her back over?" Josh looked between them again, his chest feeling tight and his heartbeat quickening at the second. "I did some more thinking last night–" "That's dangerous." "Thanks Lila... Anyways, what if I did a huge gesture? Ask her to take me back?"

"Ew," Lila stuck out her tongue in disgust and shook her head. "That seens obsessive. You didn't even date. You just want her friendship back." "So, how do I get it?" "Go to Maya, ask her if it's okay to be friends with Y/n." 

"I'm not asking a sixteen year old for permission to talk to her older sister. That's pathetic." Maxine scoffed, finishing her bite. "I don't see you having any better ideas. I like Lila's. It's simple." She said with a breath, putting the pie back on the table. "And if asking Maya does fail, send Y/n letters. Like a pen pal."

"And that's not obsessive?" 

"No, that's showing her no matter what she does when it comes to your interpersonal relationship, you're always going to try and get through the little bumps in the road." She said with a satisfied smile, whipping her ponytail as she turned to look at Lila's smitten face. 

"Wow, Maxie... that was like, really smart." Lila stated with a small giggle at the end of her sentence making Josh snort and snicker. "Well yeah, I'm a Communications major. I'm not dumb." Maxine scoffed. 

"Do you know anything about me?"

---

"Y/n, I'm making this letter to tell you that I want to pursue this banter we have. We're friends. We're not dating and we don't have to if you don't want to..." No.. try again. "Y/n, I'm making this letter to tell you that I believe in us. We don't have to let Maya come in between us." No, Josh.. you sound like a creep. Okay, this one is going to be the one..

---

'Y/n, 

We don't have to continue this relationship we have if you truly don't want to. However, I think we can do whatever we put our minds to; no matter the obstacles. We haven't been talking for long, heck, we barely have conversations at normal hours. But the conversations we've had at three am are the best conversations I've had in a while.

The whole point of this letter is to tell you that I'm not going to stop fighting for you. Friends or not. I would be a dummy to let you walk out of my life. I don't care if Maya doesn't approve, this is your life, not hers. She's going to have to get over us conversating with each other.

Besides, if she's out of the picture, what is your heart telling you to do? To drop this newly found friendship or possibly let it blossom into something more?

You figure it out,
               Josh Matthews'

-

"Oh my God..."

(A/N): SORRY IF THIS IS SO CRINGE LMAOOO. I TRIED MY BEST