• 11 •

TW* SLIGHT MENTION OF ANXIETY AND HARM(falling down, getting scars, etc)

Maxine...

Lila

soooo

so..?

nothing, never mind
I shouldn't have said anything

Go back to what you were doing then

okayyy?

---

The blonde stared at her phone screen. Palms sweaty, heart beating out of her chest. She couldn't take it anymore; the sleepless nights, what seems like never-ending loneliness,  the pain she gets every time she sees Maxine with someone who isn't her, it was too much! All she wants is the mid-length-haired brunette to notice and want her the way Lila wants her.  

Lila sighed, throwing her phone across her plush white sheets. 'stupid feelings, stupid friends, stupid thoughts!' The girl contemplated. She grasped a part of her cotton dress, airing the heat that was trapped inside. A crush on her best friend. She never thought the common experience of falling in love with a best friend would happen to her, but it did. 

She couldn't blame her heart. Maxine was amazing. 

When at the age of four, the girl with the swinging brown ponytail made her way to Lila on the swingset. The young blonde had a disheartened look on her face. "What's wrong?" The small girl with the round face asked. The set of light brown eyes met the questioning dark brown eyes. 

"I can't swing." Young Lila sniffed. "I don't have any friends to help me and my parents aren't around." Maxine frowned, looking around the area. There were a couple grown ups in sight, but none seemed to look like her new friend's parents. "Well," She turned back to the girl who was now kicking the mulch and woodchips on the ground with her head low. "I can help you swing!"

Another sniffle was heard. "You can? How? You're just as big as me." Lila said, looking at Maxine again. Maxine shrugged, getting behind the girl. She placed her hands above Lila's on the chain and pulled them back. "Swinging with two people is funner with one!" She said with a giggle. 

She let go of the chains and pushed Lila's lower back. "It helps if you say whee!" She called out to the girl who was still sniffling. Her head was down again. "I don't feel like it..." Maxine pouted, continuing to push the girl. She has been told that she often makes people smile. She wasn't going to stop swinging Lila until she smiled. 

"Okay," She started, squealing as she ran back from the girl's feet. "But I'm not stopping till you do!"

Lila let out a sigh, watching as she swung closer to the trees and then retreated from them. She didn't feel like smiling. She's supposed to know how to swing by herself. Her mother told her in order to achieve good things in life, you have to do them yourself. How was she going to be a princess if she can't even swing by herself?

She began to gain some speed as Maxine kept pushing her. A breeze would pass by her every time she came back down. It made her short hair brush across her face and flow in the wind. Lila had a small smile. She was going higher than ever before. She felt like she was flying. Even if she was just two or so feet above the ground. 

"Whee!!" The girl exclaimed as she let go of the chains, spreading her arms around. The wind in her hair, the smell of the trees and woodchips, and the thrill rushing through her body when she let go made her feel better than before.