Sinking Into Insanity... Chapter 9: Barriers and Silent Prayers

• Dedicated to Bri

Song Ri's POV

I sighed looking at the crashing waves of the ocean, I turned away instantly reminded of a horrid memory. Hyun Soo, why must you torture me with the leave of your presence? I held my legs to my chest and shivered as a salty breeze blew. I heard the sound of approaching footsteps, and felt someone drape their jacket around my shoulders, I didn't dare look up.

"Help me up," I demanded. He pulled me up and I clutched onto his large, warm jacket, it smelled of his musky cologne. He was so much like a puppy, willing to do anything to please its master, that's one of the things I didn't like about him, he had no pride nor backbone.

I want to hurry and get this over with. Why did I even attend? Oh yeah, it was because of his pushy twin sister that I referred to as my best friend. Telling me to hang out and loosen up, what does she know? She can't understand that there will be a void in my heart that no one can fill, ever.

"So I was wondering, why did you come to this party? You usually shied away from these things..." He looked at me expectantly.

"And you suddenly now have a right to butt into my life?" I retorted glaring at him. We stopped a few feet away from the hut, a few people whirled around to watch.

 "No, I'm just concerned about you," he said softly gazing deeply into my eyes.

"What? So you think you're a therapist now?!" I screeched. I didn't know why, but today I had felt emotionally unstable.

"No, Song Ri, it's just that you seem kind of off," he tried to explain.

"And why does this even concern you?" I asked folding my arms across my chest. About half the people there were staring now.

I turned my head to the side, "Fuck off!" I barked and gave them the finger. Whispers immersed, I was tired of these people.

I massaged my temple, "Seth?" I looked up at him expectantly.

He looked straight at me, his gaze unwavering, his voice was full of confidence, "Song Ri, for God's sake how long will you ignore my feelings? Why are you making me say this when you know that I love you?" There was an agonized expression on his face, I felt a twinge of guilt. I didn't get it, what did this poor boy see in me? Why did he become so unfortunate to fall in love with someone like me?

"You, something is wrong with you, your head is messed up, I suggest you go get it checked," I responded with no hints of any emotions. I turned around and strode off, I wanted to be anywhere but here.

"Song Ri, wait, I have one more question for you, why must you keep up your barriers? How come you won't let us in? Let me mend your broken heart, I will stay with you forever, I promise," he had a sincere look on his face. Those very last eight words ripped my heart into tiny shreds.

I could feel my tough act faltering, I hung my head low, I couldn't let him see me like this.

"Song Ri, why?" I could hear the hurt and agony in his voice. My heart wrenched with pain.

I stormed off, flinging off those damn heels, my hair whipped in my face, it was like a curtain, a shield to protect my vulnerable emotions.

I walked all the way back to the mansion, ignoring the damn blisters that were developing. I fiddled with the door knob before fishing out the keys, I opened the door and found Tristain making out with some dude. I growled before slamming the door.

I darted up the stairs and sprinted for my bedroom. I entered and jiggled the lock, I didn't want anybody to see me as a wreck.

I heard the soft padding of approaching footsteps as I crawled into my bed, clutching my pillow to my face to muffle my miserable sobs.