Complications [Iris 3/3]

"Your brother and mine would disagree about what we're doing."

"I know. I've never been the obedient child between Noct and me. Though, I have always sustained my usual agenda for training in the morning." f-n told Iris with a shrug of his broad shoulders.

Iris giggled in reaction, "That explains major differences between the two kinglings of Lucis. So why did you abandon the palace, letting Noct be the replacement for most of the responsibilities as prince?"

"I never liked being involved with the complicated lifestyle as royalty. Attending time wasting, lousy balls and occasions. All the fame never fit my image either. Every time I arrived at school, girls would crowd around me like a herd of sabertusks prowling about in the field with cellphones." He provided an explanatory.

"Wow, royalty sure got it rough." Iris commented with an amused expression, trotting alongside the male.

"Tell me about it. Your reputation in public defied your persona." f-n said with a roll of his eyes.

"No wonder Gladio always complains about how Noct frequently groans about his usual schedule." Iris continued with a smile.

"I can imagine that." He responded with a grin. Even under the fleeting moments hanging underneath the thickened walls of the palace, his brother despised the newspaper press and reporters arguing to invade inside in order to interrogate him with their biased questions.

"I've been wondering f-n, has Noctis always been such a sleepyhead these past twenty years?" Iris questioned, a little hop appearing in each of her steps.

f-n hesitated in his footsteps, eyes diverting to the nearby creek originating from the waterfall ahead. "When Noctis was maimed from the attack of a Daemon when we were younger. He still has a gruesome scar etched into his back from the eventful day. Sometimes I wish I could have been stronger, even if I am the youngest Caelum breathing in this century."

She shook her head, sliding a hand over his shoulder in immediate comfort. "Hey, I bet Noct's really happy now that you're back and not another soul casted down by Niflheim. Even just camping underneath the stars with them for one single night, they were under a lot of pressure. Reclaiming the throne for the sake of their kingdom. That takes guts."

"Yeah. Guess that's why I cherish such an inhumane amount of adoration towards him. I've learned to grow strong from watching him grow into a fit prince that he is." f-n crossed his arms over his broad chest with a neutral expression. "It's time I also did."

Iris' lips twitched upwards into a bright smile, brushing a thick tress of brunette hair behind her ear. "Great inspirational speech. I'll commend you on that."

f-n and Iris continued to jog on forward, meeting an intersection in the creek where the water rapids increased in speed. The waterfall splashed a mist into the atmosphere, rocks slippery enough to send either of the duo onto their sides or behinds if they weren't cautious enough. f-n outstretched his palm, a soft metal clang sounding as his bustersword appeared right at his fingertips. His veins ran with Lucian magic, eyes turning a malicious shade of red for a split second before reverting back to its original color.

"Guessing you have a plan on screwing around so early in the morning? I thought it was going to be a hike alone." Iris piped up in a sarcastic tone.

He shrugged, twirling around his blade by its manageable handle. "You could describe it like that. Shall we cooperate on eliminating these crabs?" He gestured towards the swaddle of Shieldshear patrolling within their radius, razor pincers battle born and prepared for combat. Easy training.

"Let's reck them and show them whose boss." Iris encouraged, magic pumping through her blood.

"Party's on then." f-n complied with a smirk, sprinting towards the vulnerable creatures.

His large sword came arching downwards in a powerful preemptive swing, three out of the four excluded from the hit strafing around the Lucian on their hind legs. It only beckoned as a call of challenge to the young Caelum, his sword whipped around in a single slash, damaging the coarse protection of their shells. Iris entered in, delivering a few lightning fast punches on her behalf all the while smiling like a madman. It's the excitement of battles that always became the best of her attitude during hostile times like these.

"Not too shabby for someone who doesn't wield any swords or a weapon in fact." f-n hollered, roll dodging a swift slash of their pincers.

"Thanks! Gladio taught me a thing or two." Iris swung downwards with a summoned moogle plush, sending a few shards of carcass off its shell.

"Bet I can defeat all three of them before you can."

"Bring it on then!" Iris reluctantly answered, slamming her fist against the Shieldshear's shell, cracks beginning to develop on the infrastructure.

"Very well. Don't pout and complain if you lose."

Time Skip
The sun beamed at high noon, already approaching one o'clock. Humidity accompanied the brightened atmosphere, illuminating the grassy plains and creatures prowling underneath the heat signature.

"Damn, you think the others noticed by now on where we are?" f-n asked, panting from the sweltering heat.

"They're not that stupid. Unless someone created an excuse for us, which would be a miracle." Iris responded, rolling her hazelnut eyes with an amused smile.

"My brother's going to punish me, I can sense it."

"Your brother? My brother will murder me for this. He hates when I run off without him aware of it. I could have written a little short note or something." Iris complained.

"Don't sweat it. Just remember that you're not the only individual with a protective sibling." f- reminded in comfort.

Iris released a sigh, "I guess you're right. What could possibly go wrong?"

Time Skip
"I can't believe you wandered off near the waterfall without my permission." Gladiolus paced around her, massaging his temples in agitation. If he wasn't pissed before, he was now.

"Gladdy, it wasn't that bad. Nothing happened and I'm fine. No injuries whatsoever. Too be fair, I got a few extra hours of training." Iris said encouragingly, flinching a little at the bitter glare he offered in return.

"Just because he is Noct's brother, doesn't mean you can wander away from camp again." He warned her.

"Fine. I promise to not leave without telling you." Iris responded.

Gladiolus nodded his head in affirmative. "Good."

~~~~~~~~~~

f-n browsed through the social media page on his phone, his other hand preoccupied in his messy hair. What on Eos was taking so long for Noctis to return? A quiet yawn slipped his lips, his thumb reaching for the lock button to shut the electronic device down. With a cautious placement of his phone on the ground, he laid back onto the terrain studying the teeming blue landscape accompanied with white puffs above. Iris sure was amazing He thought, pressing the back of his hand against his forehead.

"You done fawning over my friend bud?" f-n coughed immediately in reaction, dust kicked into his lungs as his brother's boots skidded across the terrain.

"The hell was that for!" He complained, wheezing and coughing into his fisted hand.

"A short reminder and forewarning on watching how you act around Iris."

"Something wrong about what I did? I was just being social. Sheesh, what's the big idea?" f-n defended, supporting himself with propped elbows.

"Be more careful of what you're doing. You might be barking up the wrong tree with Gladiolus around." Noctis warned him, flashing him a worried look.

"Yeah, I'll keep that in mind next time." f-n agreed, hiking an eyebrow up at the ravenette.

Noctis nodded, trudging away in th opposite direction. He stopped mid-step, calling over his shoulder, "Great, but be more direct next time. You could have told me that you liked Iris."

"I do not!" f-n screamed in annoyance, the pronounced red on his cheeks saying otherwise.