Chapter 29

The roll of the sea and the crashing of the waves brought me around. I began to panic when I realised not only did I have a blindfold on but my mouth was taped shut. My arms and legs secured to what sounded like chains rattling.

I tried rubbing my head against my arms to move the blindfold but with each panicked breath and a taped mouth I failed and passed out.

I came around again later and struggled again. This time I was feeling sick with the motion of the boat and started to kick around. If I was sick I would choke on it with tape over my mouth.

The door opened and heavy sounding boots stomped towards me. Followed by several agonising blows to the head. For a moment I thought he shot me but with the second block I realised it was a bar of some kind.

I slumped feigning passing out until he left, and I was left with the agony of a cracked skull and blood pouring like warm water down my face and neck. I began to cry, silently. The pain keeping me awake as the ability to breath through a running nose worsened.

Foreign voices called out orders outside the door, were they ordering my life be taken. I froze, staying still. Hoping to disappear but the door screeched open. A lock clicked, I put my hands up to protect my head thinking it was a gun barrel but found myself being hauled out of the room by my chains, scrambling to keep up as they cut into my leg and wrists.

The roar of the ocean grew and the spray of the sea hit my skin freezing me instantly. I screamed as I was push, falling to what I could only assume was the depths of the sea but felt myself hit the hard floor as more hands grappled with me.

“English?” an elderly womans voice whispered.

I nodded and mumbled behind the tape.

“Stay quiet for your own safety,” she whispered. “They will not hesitate to kill you. I’ve seen it,” she said her voice trembling at the end so I knew she spoke the truth.

“Put her in there,” another voice said as I heard engine of a boat speed away.

“Don’t forget what I said, stay quiet,” she whispered. “And don’t fight or you will regret it, believe me.”

I nodded as I felt myself pushed into what seemed like a wardrobe, my hands lifted the chain secured above me. The shackles of my ankles secured below and a door closed. I was a cupboard or closet.

I stayed as silent as possible but the odd whimper escaped as I pictured James in my mind. “Please help me,” I pleaded in the hope that I could telepathically link to him. It was stupid, but it was also the only way I could stop feeling so alone and the pain from my head, intermingled with the pain of standing in one place with my arms above my head was agony if I didn’t tried to focus elsewhere.

The door opened after seemed like an eternity. I had felt the boat bang against something. We either docked or came up against another boat. Whoever opened the door stunk of freshly applied aftershave.

“Mmm,” a male voice said and I felt the pressure of his kiss against the tape on my mind. The blindfold preventing me from seeing him but the caress of his hand on my bottom made it all to clear who it was.

I panicked playing about to get free, god knows what I expected to do if I did but either way my body was in full flight mode. I stopped the minute a first punched me so hard in the stomach in winded me, my lips ripping against the tapes as they tried to gasp for air. A second blow hit my in the side. I hung from the chain like a carcass as the blows rained on me like Rocky in training.

With one final slap to the face I was left hanging, unable to stand.

“I told you not to fight,” the woman whispered again. I could hear her start to cry as she closed the cupboard door and left me hanging there.

Every fibre of my being was in pain. I had never been so aware of myself. Think or something else I told myself over and over. Trying to picture James was too much, Emily just as worse... I pictured Chester my cat and wondered who would look after him. I pictured my niece and how she would boss him around.

“Shhh,” someone whispered and I realised I’d been crying again.

I tried to stop.

“Be brave,” she whispered.

Was she fricking joking! What the hell kind of thing was that to say to someone kidnapped and left hanging in a closet for some nutcase to beat up.

“Stop crying,” she whispered again. I realised she wasn’t talking to me as I heard a tiny whimper.

It was a childs cry. Was it Emily? My senses became tuned to that sound.

“We are nearly there and you will be allowed to go to sleep then but you have to stay awake now,” the voice whispered. The child whimpered. “We will get you something to eat too for being a good girl.”

It was a girl.

The closet door was pulled open and for no reason at all someone started to choke me. I panicked, fought back and heard the child screams be silenced as I tried to use my chains as a weapon but was soon too weak to fight and felt the hands loosen on my throat at the moment I thought I was dying.

I passed out and hoped it was death come to relieve me.