Chapter 5

The day of the flight and James was running late to the airport. Great!

I sat in departures waiting, unable to read my book as I was too anxious in case he missed the flight. My phone rang.

"I am booked in. Just on my way to the departure lounge," James said sounding like he was running.

Last call for flight C5177.

"Shit, last call... hurry I'll hold them off," I said rushing over to the desk before they took any passengers. "My friend is on his way to the gate. He is running. Can you please wait for him?"

"We'll get all these other passengers in first. He should be here by then," she said reassuring me.

I turned and stared at the departure lounge waiting for him to appear.

"What's his name?" a security officer asked.

"James Cavendish," I said.

"What does he look like?"

"Dark hair, about 6 foot, green eyes..."

"Ok I'll go look," he said taking off a trolley.

"He was running," I yelled after him.

I looked back to the gate at the last three people being checked in... how the hell did they get them on that quick.

"Security has gone to fetch him," I said starting to panic.

"Don't worry there are three missing," she said smiling. "Last call for the remaining three passengers for flight C5177. Could passenger James Cavendish please look for the security officer ready to transport him to the gate?"

I hugged her.

Two passengers ran to the gate. Shit that made him last!

A horn beeped, my head flew around to see him with the security guard. Phew!

"Now I see why you so worried. I wouldn't remind a romantic holiday with him," the stewardess said.

"I..." I decided not to bother correcting her we had to get booked in and on that plane.

James was still out of breath as he handed over his boarding pass and passport.

"The taxi broke down on the motorway," he said looking stressed. "A copper gave me a lift."

Flight closed, we rushed down the corridors to the plane, into our seats and out of breath.

"Sorry about that," he said as we fastened our seatbelts.

"It's not your fault. We're here, that is all that counts," I said giving his hand a reassuring squeeze.

He smiled, "Do you have a drink in your bag? I am dying of thirst."

"Half a bottle of water in my bag in the overhead space. In the side pouch."

He stood and rummaged for it. Guzzling it down and putting the empty bottle back.

"Thanks," he said sitting down. The heat of his arm nearly scalding mine as it touched.

I turned all the fans above us onto him. Thank god he smelt of deodorant and not BO.

The rest of the flight was spent reading a book whilst he slept with his headphones in. When the meal came around he woke miserable as he was obviously too tired to eat. Plus the man at the window seat wanted the loo so he had to get up. He didn't touch his food as he fell asleep again the minute the man returned. His head slumped against my shoulder a short while later. Brilliant, a guy who doesn't really like me, may think I am full of shit, is using me as a pillow! Oh no wait... he is a cuddler. His arms slumped across me as he snuggled up and very nearly touched my boob making the plane suddenly felt like a tin of sardines. I was also regretting begging for seats together when I added him to the flight!