Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of rain. I loved everything about the rain. The smell was so clean and if you went outside after it stopped, the world was quiet and fresh; like it was new. The sound was constant. It gave me comfort in a lonely, quiet world. I would often find myself waking up in the middle of the night to watch it. I loved the sounds and how the storm just made everything else stop while it took control. I rolled over in the small bed, waking up to the sound of the rain. I plastered a smile on my face and watched the rain drops fall on to the glass.

"Did I wake you babe?" Warm arms wrapped around my waist and I felt his breath on my neck. I didn't like to fall asleep next to the guys I slept with. I didn't like getting close to people. Not after what he did to me all those years ago.

"No, you didn't wake me but I am going to go now." I pulled the blanket back and started to get up from the bed. Josh was a regular "client" and he was getting much more touchy feely and he'd started calling me babe, sweetheart and honey. I didn't like the emotion he was giving me. This was my job, not fun. His arms tightened around my waist and stopped me from getting all the way out of bed.

"What's the rush baby? I can pay you more if that's the problem?" I signed and looked into his eyes, wanting him to understand this so I wouldn't have to say it again.

"Josh, you're a nice guy and all but I don't do emotions. This is a job for me. Please stop with the pet names and cuddling." I moved his hands off me and this time he didn't stop me when I got up. I walked around the room, picking up my clothes from the pile we'd made at the end of his bed.

"Someone's really worked you over Slone. Do you keep everyone this far away?" I heard what he said but that didn't stop me from getting my clothes on and getting the hell away from him. I wanted my space, I wanted my bed and I wanted away from him.

"We aren't lovers and we surely aren't friends. Don't ask questions you don't want the ugly truth too." I slipped my shoes on and grabbed my jacket.

"Slone, will you please come back next week?" Was this guy looking for more punishment than I was? He wasn't getting it. He was getting attached and I was trying to drop him without hurting his feelings.

"No, Josh. This is the last time. You're getting attached and I don't do attached." I opened his door and walked out, not even having the slightest urge to look back. I pushed the call button for the elevator and waited for it to make its way up the thirty four flights to me.

I grabbed my cell phone, checking the messages and texts to see if I was done for the night or if I had more clients to see. My best friend Liz made all my bookings and she'd called seven times. I dialed her number and on the third ring she answered, sounding more than stressed out.

"Where the hell have you been? Why weren't you answering your phone?" Liz's tone was worried and I should have known better than to fall asleep at a client’s house. It always made her crazy when I didn't check in. She was my bodyguard in that sense.

"I just fell asleep at my last client’s house. I'm done now and it's only… Ten o'clock. Where am I heading too now?" I heard her sign and I knew the lecture was coming.

"Liz, before you start, I know. I know it was dumb and unsafe but Josh is harmless. In fact, tonight was the last night for him. If he calls again, tell him no. Don't book him again, you understand?" Liz knew not to cross me if I asked her not to book me with someone again. She knew my issues with intimacy, and she never pushed that limit, which was something I was very grateful for.

"I hear you, and thanks for saving me from giving you the pep talk again." We both laughed and she gave me the address to my next client.

"Slone, your next client is a new client. He said he was in town for work and wanted the most discretion he could find. When you get there, you have to make sure you don't ask him questions. He specifically asked for someone who was professional and not nosy. I don't know if I like this so if you feel uneasy about any of it, then you just leave. Make sure you call me the second you leave there, alright?" I smiled at the worry in her voice.She really was the best friend anyone could have.