Chapter 4

I listened to her mind as she kept pushing me away and reeling be back in. She was so scared, confused and lost it was unreal. Her thoughts being all over the place were making me dizzy. This was going to be much harder to deal with than I originally thought.

I knew she cared about me and I knew it wasn't fair of me to project my pain on to her but I hoped that by her feeling how she was making me feel, she would come to understand that I truly did want to be with her. She wasn't just a hooker or a play thing to me. I had feelings for her that went far beyond sex. I just needed to break through her ten mile thick walls and get her to trust me, even a little.

I'd give her the time alone that she'd asked for, only because I knew if I was in her place, I'd want the same. She wasn't used to feeling like this and I knew our relationship was a lot to take in. I'd give her a lot to think about and space was the least I could give her. It still didn't stop me from being pissed off that she kept pushing me away.

"Eric, is Slone alright?" Just before I made it to the door, I heard Liz speak and I stopped.

"Yeah, she just asked for some alone time so I'm heading out." Liz looked sad and I could understand why. Slone was always alone. Liz was the only person she let anywhere hear her and she was hoping that I was going to change that. I smiled and said,

"Don't worry Liz, she can't scare me away that easily." She smiled at me and I winked back just as I closed the door behind me.

I didn't know what my next move was going to be but I knew that I couldn't be without her for long and I couldn't just leave her alone. She asked for space and space I'd give. I just wasn't going to stop reaching out to her. I made my way to my car and as I walked down the many flights of stairs I thought of ways to show her how important she was to me. Pulling out my phone, I called directory assistance and found the number to the nearest florist and I ordered three dozen roses. One red, one yellow and one white. I knew it was a bit over the top but I also knew it would make her smile.

"Ma'am, can you please put a rush on them? I'll pay you double if you can have them there by tomorrow morning. Oh, and can you make the card say, I know these aren't as beautiful as you, but at least they smell nice. I hope you smiled seeing these."

The woman wrote my words down as I spoke and said she'd personally deliver the flowers first thing in the morning. I smiled and hung up the phone. Money can buy you anything if you have enough of it and luckily, I did. I finally made it to my car and I drove off towards my hotel. I didn't know exactly what my next step was but all I knew was that I had to make Slone like me, or I was going to die.

I knew that vampires could have a soul mate, but until recently, I was fine being without mine. When I was a child, almost five hundred years ago, my mother and father would tell me stories of how they met and how my mother saved my father's life but agreeing to be turned to save him. You see, if you are lucky enough to find your mate before your five hundredth year, then you could life forever, marry, have children but you had to find that one special person to complete you or you died. My five hundred years was up in thirteen days. I was going back to New York in six days either to die or to finally start my life.

For the rest of the night and well into early hours of the next morning, I sat in my bed thinking of Slone. I could feel her anxiety and it was killing me not knowing her decision. I decided taking a shower was a good idea, so I got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom.

Just as I started the water, I heard my cell phone beep, signaling I had a message. I have no idea who would contact me this late but it better be important. I grabbed it quickly and read what she wrote. She was going to make time for me?