Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

The Officers Lounge looked like a war zone, and that was putting it mildly. The large television that had hung from the ceiling now lay on the floor, smashed into more than a hundred little pieces, the poker table was flipped over and an avalanche of different coloured chips were strewn about the floor, and even the wall nearest the door had a large chunk missing out of it and a beam with wires was visible. There were also flipped over chairs, cushions from the couch were thrown across the room, and the pictures of military vehicles and paintings of old battles lay on the floor among shattered glass. And it was all because of Alexander.

The moment he and the rest of the team were taken back to the barracks he had found the nearest room and began to throw stuff. His anger was so bad that he had even been yelling like a crazed lunatic, something he only learned of after his rage had been diminished. Kimberly had stayed with him the entire time and just watched, sorrow in her eyes as she no doubt felt the same kind of emotions that had thrown him over the edge. She just dealt with hers better, but thankfully let Alexander continue venting it in the only way he could think of.

When the last picture had fallen from the wall and shattered she finally stepped in and placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, letting him know that it was okay. It did little to comfort him though, but he didn't brush it off. Instead he allowed himself to be led to a group of upturned chairs. When Kim had put one back on its feet he sat down and tried to breath. He was lightheaded and at the same time had a pounding headache that was threatening to drill deep into his brain.

“Feel better now?” Kimberly asked. Her voice was hard, but not in the way that he knew he was in trouble.

“Not even close.”

“Well then if not we can go and find you another room to destroy,” she said and looked out over the wake of his rampage. “Maybe we can get into Vasily's private quarters.”

Alexander now looked up at Kimberly and found an evil smile on her face and the light of truth in her eyes. She was honestly considering what she had just suggested, and that made Alexander smile a little himself. But they both knew deep down that it was not a great idea. He was already being watched and he knew if he tried to make a move on Vasily or that idiot's belongings he would end up in a Russian prison, or worse.

“Maybe another time,” he sighed and tried to relax his tensed muscles. It seemed impossible though; there was just too much fight left in him. “Thanks for not stopping me.”

“Don't need to thank me for that. Honestly I wanted to be right there with you, throwing crap around the room, but one of us needed to stay out of it just in case. I'd love nothing more than to punch that bastard right in his stupid face! Just what in the hell is he thinking with bringing the Eden program back like that?”

That was the million dollar question. Eden should have been buried deep under the earth where it could never see the light of day, and any files pertaining to it should have been burned. There had been good reason for most of the worlds governments to opt out of it: three dead pilots and another ten in comas. It had been a complete and utter failure. Yet there it was now, implemented into the Russian's new machine with a new pilot who was barely old enough to even wear the uniform she had on.