Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

After an extensive search for any living UNE's on the field and in the surrounding area turned up nothing, Red Company and the X-04 team headed back to the small outpost with a sense of accomplishment. The battle had lasted a little over an hour and had beat the previous company record for quickest battle by a good half an hour, something that Angela was really happy about. Her first mission in command had gone smoothly—as smoothly as a war could go—and they had achieved what they had set out to do.

It wasn't all good though, the image of the jet crashing into the ground as the pilot struggled to get out of his cockpit still hid behind Angela's eyelids. Even when Thomas and Alex both said that a single lost life was impressive, she still couldn't shake the feeling that she could have saved him. She would have continued to worry about it but as they got back to the outpost she found that her attention was needed elsewhere.

Through all the planning and fighting she had almost entirely forgotten about the reporters from various news corporations being on hand to interview them about the Rogues. The minute she and the others stepped outside their Mechs she was quickly reminded as a group of around twelve people surged towards them with microphones and camera's pointed directly in their faces.

They had apparently heard about the battle and the result and began to launch questions at the young and slightly inexperienced pilots in a mass of voices that all mingled together and made it nearly impossible to hear any one question entirely. In all honesty, Angela wished she could just push the reporters aside and get some breathing room, but she doubted the Major would very pleased with her. So she sat there with her friends and answered the questions to the best of her ability.

Michelle seemed to be loving all of the attention and answered questions that weren't even directed to her, relishing the camera flashes and frenzied voices. Her best friend Lisa was a different story however. Whenever she was asked a question directly she would squeak out an answer quickly and then shift her body until she fell into the background, a look in her eyes that told everyone she wasn't very comfortable. Maybe if they asked their questions while she was still in the cockpit of her machine they would get better results.

Sarah stood right next to Angela with her shoulders set and a determined expression on her face. She answered her questions quickly and professionally, setting a good example for Angela who watched on with a smile. When it was her turn to ask questions however she found that she fumbled over the simplest words and often went off track, usually by passing the original question entirely. Not that she really cared. Most of the questions weren't even about the Mechs, and instead about the pilots themselves. The press seemed really interested in how young and new they all were and asked about their lives, where they came from, and how long they had been in the military.

Behind the reporters a group of pilots and mechanics from Red Company began to gather and most of the girls were starting to get a little shy about standing there in front of so many eyes. Most not including Michelle who began to smile even wider at this new development. It was Lisa's reaction to it that pushed Angela to act and she quickly excused herself and her friends from the huddle when Lisa began to shake and turn bright red. She couldn't last through much more of it.

At first the reporters seemed a little disappointed by the pilots leaving, but they quickly turned their attention to the Rogues standing among the Mark II's and began to take pictures and write down brief descriptions to give to the public. This allowed them to get away quickly and unseen as they looked for a place they could hide out for a while and rest. It had been a long morning and sadly the day was just beginning.

As they  traversed the small tent city built into the muddy and cold French Countryside they were quickly cut off by Commander Roberts, who stood outside a tent in her flimsy and curve revealing flight suit. Angela hoped the Commander would just let them pass by with no words, but the older woman quickly stepped in front of them and blocked their path.